Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive to back up data from 2007 iMac 7,1

I need to buy an external hard drive for the iMac listed below to back-up approx 28 GB used from 297.77 GB disk space. I am running OS 10.5.8 which is the maximum update for my system. Please recommend a reasonably priced hard drive for this purpose.

I am planning to buy the new 21.5" retina display iMac. Will I need to buy 1 external hard drive for my iMac 7.1 and a different one for the 2015 model?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

Serial Number (system): W880407FX86

Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-001EC20E1B53

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 10, 2015 8:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2015 10:11 PM

Pretty much any HDD will do. I stick with the major names like Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba. You can format any of them to OS X Extended Journaled. Any HDD so formatted will work with both your current and new computer. Use Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. USB 3.0 that is backward compatible to USB 2.0 is important. You should have USB 2 if your computer is newer than 2000. Size is your cost control factor. You don't seem to generate a lot of data so maybe a 1TB is enough. But the cost per GB is cheaper on 2TB and up devices. I buy mine on Amazon and go with the portables as I see no advantage to a desktop HDD and you never know when you'll want to carry it with you.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2015 10:11 PM in response to jottiejay

Pretty much any HDD will do. I stick with the major names like Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba. You can format any of them to OS X Extended Journaled. Any HDD so formatted will work with both your current and new computer. Use Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. USB 3.0 that is backward compatible to USB 2.0 is important. You should have USB 2 if your computer is newer than 2000. Size is your cost control factor. You don't seem to generate a lot of data so maybe a 1TB is enough. But the cost per GB is cheaper on 2TB and up devices. I buy mine on Amazon and go with the portables as I see no advantage to a desktop HDD and you never know when you'll want to carry it with you.

Nov 10, 2015 10:39 PM in response to UGADog

Thank you so much for your expedient response and easily understood answers even for a technologically challenged individual such as I am. I do mostly research and a little photography which is why I don't generate much data. Today I mustered up the nerve and confidence to ask my first question on Apple Support. Your kind, to the point answers will encourage me not to be afraid to ask something else again for fear of embarrassing myself. Thanks UGADog!

Nov 11, 2015 6:08 AM in response to jottiejay

I am planning to buy the new 21.5" retina display iMac. Will I need to buy 1 external hard drive for my iMac 7.1 and a different one for the 2015 model?

If you plan on keeping BOTH iMacs, then you should consider getting a backup drive for each iMac. If you are going to sell/gift/recycle the older iMac, then get a backup drive large enough for the new iMac.

I agree that 1TB (terabyte) should be good enough for your current storage usage, assuming you do not get the camera bug or worse movie bug and start to store lots of image/movies on your iMac 🙂 The rule of thumb is that for Apple's Time Machine backup you should have about 3 times as much backup storage as your peek storage usage on your Mac. That gives Time Machine enough room to keep a good history of previous changed files, so you can go back in time to recover files that may have been deleted months ago, but you just noticed it was missing.

And yes, any USB3 external disk should work. If Time Machine does not automatically convert it to the correct format for you, then Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Partition -> Options -> GUID partition table (1 partition is fine, it is the partition table type that is important). And then format the file system as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and you are all set. But I think Time Machine will offer to do that for you as soon as you plug in the new disk it has never seen before (at least on the new iMac - not sure about a 10.5 Leopard iMac).

External hard drive to back up data from 2007 iMac 7,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.