Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't make single sign on work to connect to server

Still following and learning from Reid Bundonis' excellent El Capitan Server iBooks, I want to log into my file server without having to sign in. As far as I know I have everything in place; DNS works as does my Open Directory. I have a FQDN and SSL for the Server. The only thing I haven't yet setup is Profile Manager but I have bound my Mac to the Server. So now I should be able to 'Connect to Server...', select afp://files.myserver.tld to be presented with a list of volumes to mount. But no, I have to authorise myself.

What could I have missed?

Many thanks.

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 1:04 AM

23 replies

Nov 11, 2015 8:25 AM in response to David Gordon

The process you have described is LOCAL authorization to get on your local Mac. It does not use the Kerberos provided by the Server, so you will not get single sign-on that way.

You need to add Users to the LDAP database on the Server. Then allow Network users to log in at the local Mac. By doing that you use the SERVER sign-on (with Kerberos, but it looks that same) as your single-sign on.

EDIT: I see you have already made a breakthrough that will get you there.

Nov 11, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks, to be clear I'm using my MacBook to connect to shared folders which are on my Mac mini Server. In case you were assuming I'm a local user on the Server. I'm also already a User on the Server. Open Directory, that's a LDAP database, right?

So I thought binding my MacBook was the key to allowing single sign in. The Server knows my MacBook...

Nov 11, 2015 8:51 AM in response to David Gordon

The Server knows my MacBook...

The server could know there is another device at that IP address. It has no access to anything else on the local (non-Server) Mac. It does not collect information about that Mac beyond its IP Address and possibly its name.

To "interlock" and use Single-sign-on, you make the connection with binding (as you have done) then when logging in, look up the credentials in the Server Open Directory LDAP database rather than the local (on the Mac) database.

In Directory Utility, you have already set up your Authentication chain to use, in this order:

/Local/Default

/LDAPv3/<your-fully-qualified-domain-name>

so when you go to log in, accounts that do not appear locally will be sent to the Sever for authentication by the Server, and if authenticated, will return a Kerberos ticket-granting-ticket as well as logging in on the local Mac.

Nov 11, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks again and apologies for the ongoing basic questions.

So am I bound to the server? In the Users & Groups (System Preferences) the Login Options shows a green light against my Network Account Server <my-fully-qualified-domain-name>

Meanwhile over on my MacBook's Directory Utility I see the authentication chain you expect. But in the Services section I have the option to edit my configuration including the option to Bind (in the Security tab). There are no details filled in so now I don't know if I am bound.

I've tried logging out of my MacBook and then using my Server credentials to log back in. That doesn't work. You think it should?

Thanks once again.

Nov 11, 2015 9:25 AM in response to David Gordon

If the green light is showing the correct Server-name in Users & Groups > Login Options ....

then you have made the Binding required. Press on into Directory Utility and you see the actual chain used for this Authentication.

You can choose to bind securely by having the server exchanging certificates with the Mac, if you prefer. This is set up in Server.

then using my Server credentials to log back in. That doesn't work. You think it should?

If by "server credentials", you mean the Server Admin on the server, then NO. Only Accounts from the Open Directory LDAP database are Authenticated in this way, and the Server Admin is usually not in that database.

Nov 11, 2015 9:32 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The Server Admin account can be used from another Mac for certain operations (e.g., to do screen sharing).

launch screen sharing (after you have set it up on the Server computer)

specify the computer-name to connect to.

enter credentials. NB> In this obscure case, you are talking inDirectly to "ordinary" login ...

... on the computer that happens to be the Server, NOT using Single sign-on.

Nov 11, 2015 9:37 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

If by "server credentials", you mean the Server Admin on the server, then NO. Only Accounts from the Open Directory LDAP database are Authenticated in this way, and the Server Admin is usually not in that database.

No, I'm trying to use my Local Network User username and password. I'm set to be allowed to login but not administer, that's a separate User. I know my username and password for the Server is correct as I can use them to authenticate when I ask to 'Connect to Server...". The step I'm trying to avoid!

So it sound like everything is set up as it should be. I'll try turning everything off and back on again.

Thanks!

Nov 11, 2015 9:52 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

The Server Admin account can be used from another Mac for certain operations (e.g., to do screen sharing).

Yes, I'm using Apple Remote Desktop to access my (headless) Mac mini Server. (Which means I can't use Screen Sharing, the Preferences don't allow both. I'm set up so only the Server's admin user can access and control via ARD.)

Rebooted everything and still can log into my MacBook using my Server user credentials...

Nov 11, 2015 10:25 AM in response to David Gordon

When it all works, it works well.

When it does not work, there is very little diagnostic information available to lead the way toward a solution.

Make certain you are not trying to use a name-reference to your Server that uses .local or .private -- those will NOT work.

You need a real or 'completely made-up but real-looking' three part fully qualified domain-name and a DNS set up to resolve to that, both forward and reverse lookup must resolve. Network Utility can be used on the client Mac to check that.

On the client mac, In System Preferences > Network > whatever medium...

... be sure you are using ONLY the IP address of that DNS server, and nothing else. The DNS lookup algorithm uses the first-specified DNS listed. It does NOT check the next ones unless the first one is DEAD. Putting your local DNS Server as the second entry does not work.

Nov 12, 2015 1:13 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes, for sure I have all of those suggestions in place.

This morning I have created a new User on the Server, logged in as that User from my MacBook and connected to the Shared Folders without further authentication. So single sign in works for my server and a Network Home User.

I cannot get to the Shared Folders using my own User name without first authenticating at "Connect to Server...". I cannot log into my MacBook using my Server login credentials. So single sign in only works for Network Home Users?

Confused and frustrated. Everything is in place.

Can't make single sign on work to connect to server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.