Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't the iPod Touch have cellular data?

I mean, both the iPhone and iPad can have cellular data, but the iPod Touch can't. Why can't the iPod Touch have cellular data?

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 2:51 AM

14 replies

Nov 11, 2015 10:29 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

Meg St._Clair wrote:

Skydiver119 wrote:

But the Touch was really conceived to be a small portable gaming device that also accessed the net via wifi.

And here I always thought it was conceived to be a small portable music player..... Remember back when that's pretty much all it did? 😉

Be careful, you may be showing your age. 😝

Not too long ago, I found the review of the original iPod that I'd pulled out of that month's issue of MacAddict.

Nov 11, 2015 11:31 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

As I was teaching my computer class the other day, we were discussing personal experiences with computer history and I was sharing how my first computer was a Commodore 64, and the "disk drive" for that device was a cassette player. Students though I was kidding.

My ex worked for Commodore at that time. My first computer programming class was done over a teletype to a timeshare mainframe. Paper punch tape. It would make their little heads explode.

Nov 11, 2015 2:55 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I remember those as well, but I was just graduating high school and they had them in the large computer room at the manufacturing company I worked at. A large air conditioned room with several large computers along one wall, all using 12" tape reels, and all they could do was simple inventory. To think my smartphone has more computing power than that entire room had back then.

Nov 11, 2015 6:05 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

I remember those as well, but I was just graduating high school and they had them in the large computer room at the manufacturing company I worked at. A large air conditioned room with several large computers along one wall, all using 12" tape reels, and all they could do was simple inventory. To think my smartphone has more computing power than that entire room had back then.

I think our smart phones have more computing power than what they used to put men on the moon. I always think of that when people tell me that they just can't survive without their phones.

Nov 22, 2015 7:37 PM in response to restaurantpattybob

Considering that cases for the 5th gen iPhone fits a 5th gen iPod, that could be a logical conclusion.

iPads have cellular data, iPhones obviously do, iPods do not.

At the end of the day, Apple does what Apple chooses to do.

If you want cellular data for your iPod, you can look into a device like the Mifi, which is a portable wifi hotspot that you can hook your iPod to.

Why can't the iPod Touch have cellular data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.