Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud drive videos to appleTV

I have the brand spanking new AppleTV

I have 100+ home videos stored in my iCloud drive under a folder called home movies

How do I watch them? Surely this is simple? Yet I cannot find the answer

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 5:40 AM

8 replies

Oct 29, 2017 6:49 AM in response to JoeScrivens

You can do one of two things. Copy videos to iMovie and then send it to Theater. You have to have a large enough iCloud Drive, which you might have to pay for, and then in Theater, the videos will show up in iMovie Theater on your Apple TV. If you want to share pictures, instead of videos, you have to make sure you have a large enough iCloud Drive again and in Fotos, you hit the share button with the arrow on the top right. You then share the photos to iCloud Drive. The pictures will show up under the Apple TV app iCloud Fotos. Some of my explanation of the Apple commands may be a little wrong, because my language on my MAC is German.

Nov 11, 2015 10:04 AM in response to JoeScrivens

I have not found a way to browse my iCloud drive from the TV yet either.

I would add to your request the ability to see my photos in a Photos folder in my iCloud drive. And let other apps have access to them in that drive.

Regarding tvOS, I'd like to be able to back up and restore my Apple TV via the iCloud backup so I didn't have to re-enter all my passwords every time Apple Support had me reset to factory settings to fix a problem.

Remember Apple doesn't make money from Cloud services like Google, they make their money from selling things. So you can't expect them to focus on Cloud services as much as others.

Nov 11, 2015 11:58 AM in response to JoeScrivens

There are a couple of ways to do this. You can add the videos to the Photos app on you Mac and then share them to iCloud from there or you can add them to iMovie and share them from there using iMovie Theatre to iCloud. In both cases you'll probably need to move them off the iCloud Drive first before adding them to Photos or iMovie before sharing them or you will be taking up twice the space of your iCloud Drive allotment, once for the original and once for the shared version. You'll also need to download the Photos and/or the iMovie Theatre app to your new Apple TV to view the videos. They are both available in the Apple TV app Store.

Nov 11, 2015 12:03 PM in response to RealisticExpectations

That may have been true at one point but Apple does up-sell larger iCloud Storage capacity tiers so they are making some money from Cloud services. It can also be said that Google makes most of their money from search advertising rather than cloud services.

I'm not sure if Apple will add an iCloud Drive app on the Apple TV that could play stored media but maybe a 3rd party solution like VLC would be able to access your iCloud Drive. Its early days so we'll have to see.

Nov 12, 2015 5:50 AM in response to morrispe

also the reason the photos app idea wont work is because i need to be able to actually have access to the names of the videos to see what they are and the photos app doesn't support that kind of sharing since it is ideally for photos. With a photo its fine because you just see the photo - but with a video it starts with a black screen so i need a title like you would a film

also i have 9000 photos i would have to scroll through in order to find each video

iCloud drive videos to appleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.