Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Confusion installing windows via DVD/ISO

I've tried to follow the instructions here How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support to install Windows 10.

The instructions state that I should create an ISO file

When you purchase Windows, it comes as a disk image file (ISO) that you download, or as an installation disc or USB flash drive. If your copy of Windows came on a DVD, you should create a disk image of it to work with Boot Camp. If your version of Windows came on a USB flash drive, you can download an ISO from Microsoft

But when you run bootcamp, it says "The installer disc could not be found". I have tried with the ISO mounted, I have installed the ISO onto a bootable USB and that mounted and unmounted. Neither work. The instructions linked above make no mention about this at all. What is going on?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 1:07 PM

If your Mac has a built-in Optical drive, you need to burn the ISO from Microsoft on to a physical DVD and use that to install Windows.

What year/model is your Mac?

3 replies

Nov 11, 2015 1:19 PM in response to NedJeffery

Please see can't see iso option in bootcamp . BC Assistant sets the boot to be the hardware path of the built-in Optical drive on such machines (with a few exceptions as noted in the link).

If you see only two options in your BCA (without modifying the Bootcamp info.plist), then you need a physical DVD. BC5/BC6 Assistant will allow you to create USB installer on supported systems. On 2015 Macs, as USB is not required.

Please also see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/ for clarifications.

Confusion installing windows via DVD/ISO

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.