Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This account cannot be used for Family Sharing

There is nearly nothing to be found regarding the error: "I Cannot Add Family Member - This account cannot be used for Family Sharing" Has anyone have a solution or recommendation? I have tried several times to add one of our family member's Apple ID to our Family Sharing group, but it cannot be added for some reason. Their Apple ID works by itself otherwise. Restarting the devices, signing in and out, and trying on a different device did not help.

1. As the organizer, I select Add Family Member....
  2. I then type the Apple ID of the member I want to add.
  3. I am asked whether I want to Ask This Person to Enter Password or Send an Invitation.
  4. I choose Ask This Person to Enter Password.
  5. The password for that Apple ID is entered and I select Next at the top right.
  6. I am asked to confirm the account to be used, and select Next at the top right.
  7. I am then told that I Cannot Add Family Member - This account cannot be used for Family Sharing.

User uploaded file

If, in step 3, I decide to Send an Invitation, I still run into problems.

Upon clicking on the Get Started button in the invitation email, iCloud settings is opened, but I get the error Cannot Connect to iCloud.

It is also noteworthy that on this family member's iCould settings screen, the message Family information is not available is displayed.

User uploaded file

iPad 2, iOS 9.0.2

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 12:43 PM

4 replies

Dec 31, 2015 8:32 PM in response to gershwin27

Having the same issue - found this post not sure if it will help you - I have had my macbook in for repair so does make sense.

"Call Apple support someone needs to reset your account and they told me there was a redflag stating the account was a "re-saler" account meaning someone worked for Apple or used their log-In name in an electronic store or something. Just call and they ask some questions and send it to a higher up who changes the account back to a regular account."

This account cannot be used for Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.