Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange data usage excessive since iOS9 upgrade

Since upgrading to iOS 9.1 my data usage rates have been excessive, specific to my Exchange account. Before the upgrade, and making no other changes, I averaged less than 5/day. Since the upgrade, and with overall less email traffic, I use 10-20 a day on average and actually used 110 MB in a 3-hour span today with nothing turned on other than mail. I have had "WiFi Assist" turned off for weeks, and have "Fetch New Data" off as well so that it will only update manually. After fighting this for weeks I have deleted my exchange account. Are others seeing this problem?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 1:18 PM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 1:37 PM in response to AppleNeedSteeveJobs

It is not a problem of using wifi assist, It is a problem of using to much data. When traveling out of the USA, Cellular data may be the only way to receive information. Currently the ATT Passport plan provides for 120 MB of data for 30 days. In the first 3 days I have used over 60 MB of data. 45 MB of this data can be traced back to Exchange accounts under system services. Trust me, I have tried turning off everything I can so nothing is operating in the background or drawing data without me requesting it specifically.

Any help would be appreciated..

Now I see why the IPhone is a big seller in areas of the world where access to data is cheap and plentiful, but not a relevant product where data is still controlled an expensive.

Feb 8, 2016 2:20 PM in response to emeryjre

This is an age-old bug in the MS Exchange ActiveSync protocol. The server can get out of sync with the client (your phone), and it keeps trying over and over to re-sync. To fix it, delete the MS Exchange account, or go to Settings/Mail, Contacts, Calendars, tap on it, and turn off all the switches. Then reboot the phone by holding HOME and SLEEP until an Apple logo appears.

For the next step first connect to a WiFi hotspot so you don't run up cellular data charges, and connect to power so WiFi doesn't shut off when the phone goes to sleep. Then add the account back or turn it back on. It will take a while to resync, which is why you need the WiFi connection. Once it has finished re-syncing it should be OK.

Exchange data usage excessive since iOS9 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.