Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot find password for old iMac

How do I open my old iMac? I cannot open the system. I have tried to log on using my iCloud Password which it asks for, but it won't take it.

iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 5:08 PM

1 reply

Nov 11, 2015 6:20 PM in response to jnswa

An answer depends on the operating system currently installed.

1. Restart your Mac while holding down the and R keys at the same time until you see the OS X Recovery screen.
    • If that does not work, you will need to find that Mac's original, grey, System Install DVD. Insert that disc and start the Mac while holding the c key with one finger while you power on the Mac with another finger.
    • If you no longer have or cannot find that disc, you will need to obtain a suitable replacement. Write back for suggestions.
  2. From the menu bar at the top, select Utilities > Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window type resetpassword and press Enter. A window will open behind Terminal that looks like this

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

1. Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD" in the above screenshot), choose your user account from the dropdown selection, enter a new password, complete the password hint field, and click Save.
  2. You may then see a confirmation dialog explaining how this change affects Keychain Access and what to do about it. Remember it or write it down, then click OK.
  3. Quit Reset Password
  4. Quit Terminal
  5. Quit OS X Utilities and restart your Mac.

To fix your Keychain problems, go to your Utilities folder and open Keychain Access. Follow the steps here: Mac OS X: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password.

Cannot find password for old iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.