Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV (4th Gen) Extremely Slow on Network, Other Devices Fine

I have a brand new Apple TV with TVOS 9.0.1. It will not exceed 5 Mbps on the network -- EVER. It usually hovers around 3 Mbps. Programs buffer when downloading for 5 - 20 minutes depending on quality. It's abysmal.

However, all of my other Apple devices work beautifully. MacBook Pro, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, and Apple TV (3rd Generation) in the bedroom all process at the delivered throughput of the router (20-30 Mbps).

Only the new Apple TV is slow and won't speed up. All devices are less than 15 feet from the router (Apple Airport Extreme).

I have reset the cable modem. I have reset the router. I have reset the Apple TV.

All devices continue to work at around 25 Mbps except the Apple TV, which -- as stated -- hovers at 3 Mbps.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Apple TV, tvOS 9.0.1, 4th Generation Apple TV.

Posted on Nov 11, 2015 8:03 PM

30 replies

Nov 15, 2015 11:57 PM in response to BeavertonMac

I have exactly the same issue. It *****!

Everything works fine with the wifi (powered by AirPort Express), but the new Apple TV 4th generation is so slow. Oddly, if I changed to the hotspot sharing from my iPhone through LTE network, it's way faster. I even upgraded the software, but still, the same issue.

Well, you may say it's signal strength problem, nose, nearby networks, but the problem is, the previous generation Apple TV sit on exactly the same spot and using exactly the same Wifi network, so it doesn't make sense it will be this kind of slow.

I was really disappointed by the new Apple TV 4th generation. I doubt there is issues with their Wifi firmware or even hardware.

Nov 16, 2015 4:44 PM in response to vazandrew

Surely it matters. for all other devices as they are working as expected, only new Apple TV 4th Gen not working, the only reasonable explain is there is a problem with the Apple TV itself. As an engineer, I would say the troubleshooting is to ensure all other known working devices works in that environment, so I get a certain level that there is something wrong with the device itself. Of course not 100% sure, but I would say I am 80% sure it's the Apple TV's problem, if I want I can even open Wireshark to see what's going on there with the packages, and write a blog about what I find. But I just don't have that kind of time.

Also, after googling around, I found tons of people having the same issue.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/09/apple-tv-tvos-software-update/

You can find some comments there.

Michael Perry (@Alticus):

I’m hoping it fixes the awful network bug that causes packets collisions all over certain networks and causing all devices on the network to slow down severely.

Michael Perry (@Alticus) :

@ikrupp215 @mikhailt There are SEVERAL threads on the new Apple TV forum – check it for yourself. So while YOU may not have heard of this bug, it doesn’t mean at least some of the millions of other customers who purchased an Apple TV has not experienced it. Additionally in digging through the tvOS beta 9.1 release notes it would appear that this entry in the networking section of the release notes is a red herring:

“Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) is now enabled by default on Ethernet and Wi-Fi. This is designed to reduce network delays and reduce packet loss.”

It would be no wonder why some networks with a lot of of clients (specifically 1Gbps clients) would have some issue depending on the makeup of the network. If ECN isn’t enabled by default (like it should be) then it could leave the door open to these kinds of packet collision mitigation issues. But hey you’ve never heard of it, so it’s not true right? So not true that this exact issue and symptoms are mentioned in Apples software update release notes. :rolleyes:

@richslin That is exactly what led me to start troubleshooting it and look for answers in the first place. Plex wasn’t working well no matter if I was on wired ore wireless then I tested it against other devices with the same app on my network to rule out it being an actual network issue. I then tested other apps like netflix and hulu and they are exhibiting the same symptoms so that also rules out it being an issue with the Plex app itself. As stated above though I believe it has to do with ECN not being turned on by default (which is odd but probably just missed in the initial aTV release) and they are fixing it in the 9.1 release.

So, to answer @BeavertonMac's question, I would say it's a bug of new Apple TV. Hopefully will be addressed by Apple soon.

Nov 16, 2015 11:20 AM in response to BeavertonMac

BeavertonMac wrote:

I have a brand new Apple TV with TVOS 9.0.1. It will not exceed 5 Mbps on the network -- EVER. It usually hovers around 3 Mbps. Programs buffer when downloading for 5 - 20 minutes depending on quality. It's abysmal.

How are you measuring the performance of the ATV4gen?

Given only the facts you provided (which aren't nearly enough) I'd guess the ATV is wireless and using 2.4GHz. The first thing would be to use a wired connection and if that's fine then progress to standard Wi-Fi troubleshooting.

Nov 16, 2015 6:57 PM in response to Victor Lin

Victor Lin wrote:

Surely it matters. for all other devices as they are working as expected, only new Apple TV 4th Gen not working, the only reasonable explain is there is a problem with the Apple TV itself. As an engineer, I would say the troubleshooting is to ensure all other known working devices works in that environment, so I get a certain level that there is something wrong with the device itself. Of course not 100% sure, but I would say I am 80% sure it's the Apple TV's problem, if I want I can even open Wireshark to see what's going on there with the packages, and write a blog about what I find. But I just don't have that kind of time.

The preferred tool would be tcptrace not wireshark.

ECN and friends are for Internet connections not local connections and unless the path to and the remote Internet server both support ECN it doesn't matter if it's turned on in your local device. Apple is including it in iOS 9 and OS X 10.10.3 (and greater) to encourage the Internet gateways (e.g. your ISP) to honor and use the ECN bit -- which mostly they don't.

Should Apple try and anticipate and compensate for almost every network misconfiguration? Well maybe they should but in this case the onus probably does fall on the "end" user. If an update "fixes" this problem it will be a coincidence.

Extremely simple testing will isolate this problem.

Nov 16, 2015 9:56 PM in response to BeavertonMac

Same issues. Have an older gen atv sitting right underneath the new gen afg and switching thru my hdmi outputs one is buffering while the other is almost finished loading an entire movie. Plus I'm testing speeds from apple's iPhone 6plus, iPhone 5, iPod 5th gen, an apple notebook and a bunch of other non Apple devices. My new atv is literally popping up with issues in every app I use from Netflix and Hulu to nbc and cbs. While the speeds in my network test over 55-60mbps on all but one device in my home(atv4) I'm wondering why the new software that JUST downloaded days ago didn't provide a hotfix to this packet loss issue. Trust in about to just disconnect this thing and get a full refund. I didn't spend $150 to have something that works 10% as well as the older version sitting right in front of me. So, troubleshooting my network thru packet sends and receives from a Ethernet link direct in the router wirelessly to a device shows a loss of -0 while the measurement of packets sent and received don't differ. I kinda think atv4 has a big issue and it's not my fault. Checkmate Apple. The next move is yours.

Nov 27, 2015 3:52 PM in response to MilitantApl11B

I can also confirm that the 4th gen Apple TV is virtually unusable compared to my 3rd gen on the same network. I'm using Ethernet and can't get the 4th gen to play any videos properly over iTunes Home Sharing. My iTunes library is served up by an iMac on the same Ethernet network. I tried to show some expensively-transferred home videos to my family over Thanksgiving and it was a train wreck. Nothing but stalled video and spinning progress indicators every few minutes. Every single video started up and stalled within 2 to 4 seconds. So embarrassing... So today I replaced the 4th gen with my old 3rd gen. The network settings are exactly the same but the older ATV plays the same videos just fine. Heads need to roll at Apple!

Nov 28, 2015 8:05 AM in response to BeavertonMac

Problem: Apple TV4 will only cache up to 5 mins ahead and then pause the playback to cache more.” from this article Re: Caching issues etc - AppleTV 4th Generation

I have the same problem with my Apple TV 4. I spent 90 minutes on the phone with two different tiers of Apple support and they finally decided to send me a new device. Unfortunately, the problem persists, even when I plugged the apple TV directly to my brand new iMac.

Notes:

• Same issues when i try to view from the Plex app.
  • Same Issue whether it is my HD media or Apples HD media (Just bought & downloaded "The Godfather" from Apple) Queues like the apple 3 used to when streaming from the internet but my downloaded movie stalls over my network.) So it doesn't seem to matter if movies were created by me or Apple

At the time I’m writing this, over 350 views on your post but I cannot find any other posts on the net about this.

Nov 29, 2015 7:24 PM in response to BeavertonMac

You never reported back regarding troubleshooting so hopefully you found your configuration error.

But for people that happen upon this thread the Air Video HD (AV HD) app has a speed test. There may be other local net speed test apps but for the moment app discovery is a bit of a trial. As a single data point AV HD reports 80Mbps wired, which is pretty good for a 100 Mbps device, and 190 Mbps using 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Nov 29, 2015 7:50 PM in response to bodosom

I'm inclined to believe that this is a software or hardware problem as noted by several commenters to this thread. There is no configuration error.

To date:

• I have tested the device on four separate networks (also with streaming devices -- two with Rokus and two with earlier generation Apple TVs).
  • Three of the four times I tested the device on separate networks, I reset and set up the device again.
  • On all four networks I ran Speedtest and couldn't get anything faster than as noted in my original post. (In fact the speed was nearly identical on all four networks; three Comcast and one Frontier.)
  • I ran the device on the network by itself and ran the device with other devices connected to the network. No difference in performance.

The ONLY way I can get the device to stream properly is to physically connect it with an Ethernet cable from the Apple TV directly into my Airport Extreme. Then it functions at maximum speed for my network (50 Mbps download). The WiFi simply does not work.

My next step is to go back to the Apple Store. But I have spoken to an Apple Genius on the phone and was told this is turning out to be a common complaint; they believe -- but won't confirm -- that it's a software problem. I will go in to confirm; if it's a hardware defect, then I would expect a replacement. But if it's software (which it's sounding like it is), then a fix in a future update will probably resolve the issue.

The device is fully functional on an Ethernet cable, but that sort of defeats the point of having a wireless device which could otherwise be more discretely positioned in the house.

Nov 29, 2015 8:59 PM in response to BeavertonMac

BeavertonMac wrote:

I'm inclined to believe that this is a software or hardware problem as noted by several commenters to this thread. There is no configuration error.

If you think it's a hardware problem you should get the unit replaced.

It could be a software problem if problem is defined as something specific to your configuration that Apple failed to account for. Without more information it's all speculative. As I said I get 190 Mbps on my local network (16 Mbps on 802.11g) and rated speed (~30 Mbps or 16 Mbps on 802.11g) to my ISP per Speedtest or iftop.

The total number of unique complaints is below negligible for a products with an installed base likely in the millions. This doesn't mean that Apple can't fix it but it may take a while to find a problem that only a handful (< 1,000) of people are having.

And of course you saying there is no configuration error doesn't mean there isn't one after all I'm not having any problems which should be considered surprising if there's a generic ATV networking problem.

Apple TV (4th Gen) Extremely Slow on Network, Other Devices Fine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.