Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

streaming movie weird problem

I've got to say. I've never run into this particular problem before and I hope someone can help me figure it out. For some odd reason unknown to me, I have terrible trouble with this one movie, Avengers - Age of Ultron, and maybe more to come later, who knows, that absolutely will not stream from either one of my computers which are only about 15 steps away, to my new Apple TV I purchased a while back. But get this, there are no problems what so ever when I stream the movie from Apple's Cloud set up, where ever that may be, but it's certainly farther away then the 15 steps between my Apple TV and my iMac. All of the rest of my movies, so far, have not given me any trouble.

Clarification: When I say, "Will not stream", I mean it buffers a lot....you know, stops starts......etc. Isn't that a little weird for streaming within the home? Oh, and the kicker is, this one movie simply doesn't even cooperate when there is an Ethernet connection. Same buffering. But plays no problem on Computer and from cloud.????

My service is from Cox Cable locally and I have a 50Mbps internet account.

Thanks for any suggestions that might help me with this.

Lonnie

Apple TV (4th generation), iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 3:45 AM

13 replies

Nov 12, 2015 5:31 AM in response to QuickDraw

The speed of the internet has nothing to do with your local network. The router may be misconfigured, there may be interference from neighbors' networks, wireless phones in the house, other electrical appliances. There are folks here that can help you with the specifics, but that should get you started in troubleshooting the problem.

Have a nice day.

Nov 12, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Boyd Porter

Hey, thanks for the reply. At the time I posted my original message, I couldn't remember whether I had the same problem with my 2nd generation Apple TV or not, so I took a little time just now to check it out and I have no problems at all with my movies acting up with it, not even the one in question in my original post. The network is the same, all the cables same, everything literally the same accept I used the 2nd generation Apple TV. I'm not trying to be argumentative or anything, just saying it probably doesn't have anything to do with your suggestions. I do however, appreciate your time in putting those suggestions on the message base though.

Lonnie

Nov 15, 2015 3:04 AM in response to Boyd Porter

By the way, the problem also exists when I have it going on Ethernet which is kind of strange. Oh, and I just the other day hooked back up my 2nd generation apple tv and had no problems with streaming it or via Ethernet. Same exact setup, same network, same router, same settings....etc. Thinking about switching out the 4th generation Apple tv with another from the store.

Nov 15, 2015 8:24 AM in response to QuickDraw

A number of users are having a problem with excessive buffering on ATV4 which makes HD films unplayable, when they work fine on the identical set up & network on ATV3. I have a call into Apple, referred them to at least two forums highlighting this. It has now been over 7 days and they still have not come back with any response.

Nov 24, 2015 3:59 AM in response to RB66

Thanks for the reply RB66 and sorry for the delay. It didn't seem to me like anyone was really interested in the topic, so I just left the topic alone for a while. Sorry to hear you're having the same problem, as well as the others you spoke of.

As I mentioned in my original post, this one darn movie has troubles even with an Ethernet connection going. I just don't understand that. With it being connected through Ethernet, there should be no interference from other devices, correct?

Let us know how it goes with Support will ya? Thanks.

Lonnie

Nov 29, 2015 7:35 PM in response to QuickDraw

I'm having exactly the same problem, with some HD movies stopping and starting, on two new 4th gen Apple TVs. It doesn't affect all movies but consistently affects at least two movies that I have. The problem only exists when playing from the iTunes library on my computer. Streaming the same movies from Apple's servers works well. I have a 2nd gen and a third gen Apple TV and they stream these locally stored movies from the computer with no issues. I have tried streaming the movie from two different computers and tried both wifi and Ethernet between the router and Apple TV and it makes no difference. Anyway, my local network is involved whether I'm streaming from my computer or from the internet and Internet content works fine. The problem is consistent with at least a couple of movies that I have, but doesn't seem to affect others. I've tried deleting and redownloading one of the movies and had the same problem again. I've tried restoring one of the ATV4s but it did not make a difference. Apple support could not help, since I had already tried everything that they suggested. Hopefully, this is resolved with the next tvOS update. For what it's worth, one of the two movies that I have issues with is also "Avengers-Age of Ultron"

Nov 30, 2015 12:30 AM in response to RB66

Apple are consistently denying this problem despite very obvious evidence that it exists and affects some people very badly. There are many calls to log the problem with Apple. I am surprised that they see fit to launch a box to stream video that doesn't stream video. If anyone had purchased a TV which did not play TV, then they would take it back. The strongest message to Apple (who are now not even acknowledging a response to the problem I raised with them), is to return the goods as unfit for purpose and get a refund. I have now returned two units without issue from the retailer.

Nov 30, 2015 7:41 AM in response to RB66

It is frustrating,but typical, that the problem is not acknowledged by Apple. However, because playback from the Internet works fine, I don't believe this to be a hardware problem and it can hopefully be fixed via an OS update (whenever that may be). So for now, complaining and/or returning hardware seem to be the only way to get Apple's attention.

One other thing I've noticed, even for locally stored video that seems to play normally, is weird behavior of the buffering progress bar. When playing back video from my computer the buffer bar never progresses more than a few minutes ahead of playback. At times it even moves backward to the playback indicator before stating to advance again. When streaming from Apple, the buffer bar continues to advance, as expected, until the movie is fully loaded. On ATV4, this never happens with locally stored content, but ATV2 and ATV3 continue to add to the buffer until the movie is fully loaded

Nov 30, 2015 1:33 PM in response to QuickDraw

I have the same issue with watching media stored in my local networked iTunes Library. With previous generation Apple TVs, movies used to continue caching ahead (I used to pause the movie and let about 25% of the movie pre-load before starting to watch it). This method doesn't work with Apple TV 4 and I'm having all kinds for problems watching some movies (the movie will stop, start, stop and sometimes not start). All OS software, Apple TV OS and Airport Extreme (current generation) are up to date.

I don't think this is a problem with the router set up. Never had this problem with previous Apple TVs and it happens on machines that are connected via ethernet (the 2015 iMac that holds my main iTunes Library and one of my Apple TVs are both connected via ethernet on the same network).

Some recent HD movies play fine (Jurassic World), while others (Trainwreck and Inside Out) are simply unwatchable. I've restarted all machines and AirPort Extreme. I've also tried deleting the problem movies and re-downloading them, the problem remains.

I know we're early on with tvOS software, so I'm hoping this is resolved soon!

Nov 30, 2015 3:03 PM in response to QuickDraw

Hey there, I just wanted to chime in and say I am having the exact same problem. Its does not effect all my movies or all my HD movies though. It does affect those I have not watched in awhile and newly purchased movies. I hope it fixes soon, because I would rather watch movies on my computer than stream them from iTunes.

Nov 30, 2015 7:43 PM in response to QuickDraw

Yes I am having the same problem, and yes it is reported on many internet forums on the Apple TV 4. It is some kind of buffering problem and affects only home shared locally stored videos. I Have a large Mac Pro Server with all my videos locally and I do not like to have to run them from Itunes Stone online partly because it is a pain to use and sort thru my purchases on the screen and partly because I like local control I have always had. I hope apple acknowledges and fixes this soon

streaming movie weird problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.