Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple's Security Cert blunder

I've just seen that Apple has accidentally (the mind boggles) let its Security Certificate lapse on the App Store, which is leading to loads of problems with existing apps.

I'm getting the message that all my purchased / downloaded App Store apps are now broken, and must be re-downloaded ... however, deleting doesn't work: it's still showing as available to 'Open' in the App Store. And when I click 'Open' I get the 'damaged' error again.

Has anyone had any success reinstalling apps after this monumental Apple cockup?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 5:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 11:58 AM

Hello katandmouse,

This is a widespread problem. I saw it with one of my own apps, but I just re-entered the test Apple ID I use and it was fine. But this is a developer system so it may not apply to true purchased apps.

Here are some of the other discussions going on today about MASpocalyse:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

And here are Allan Jones' links:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/12/apple-user-anger-mac-apps-brea k-security-certificate-lapse

PS: Sorry for the "Link 1" junk. Apple's buggy forum software won't let me post links in plain text today. I guess you'll just have to trust me on those links. 👿

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2015 11:58 AM in response to katandmouse

Hello katandmouse,

This is a widespread problem. I saw it with one of my own apps, but I just re-entered the test Apple ID I use and it was fine. But this is a developer system so it may not apply to true purchased apps.

Here are some of the other discussions going on today about MASpocalyse:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

And here are Allan Jones' links:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/12/apple-user-anger-mac-apps-brea k-security-certificate-lapse

PS: Sorry for the "Link 1" junk. Apple's buggy forum software won't let me post links in plain text today. I guess you'll just have to trust me on those links. 👿

Nov 12, 2015 12:04 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks etresoft, that's very helpful.

My home iMac is working fine now, although it did have to redownload a load of apps, which isn't great for my bandwidth usage, but not problematic.

My work Mac Pro now seems to be back to normal, but it took three cycles of logging in and downloading (with the same Apple ID) to get it back to normal. It is heavily loaded with various bits of production software, though, including a hefty Adobe CC installation, so it always takes awhile to settle down after upgrades and updates.

I'm going to keep an eye on it tomorrow, and hopefully it'll be sorted.

Nov 12, 2015 12:46 PM in response to jwlowry

jwlowry wrote:

I have deleted and re-downloaded several apps. Some of them now work, but most do not.

Hello jwlowry,

Try restarting. Some people have reported that this helps.

Why is Apple being silent on this?!?!

We aren't supposed to speculate on Apple's policies here in the forums. But I think I can safely speculate that Apple isn't saying anything because they have no clue what happened. I am positive this was not intentional. There is no way Apple would have willingly done this much damage to the public confidence in their ecosystem. Look at the bright side. In the long run, we might all benefit from this by sending feedback to Apple (http://www.apple.com/feedback/) saying that we do not want "kill switches" on our apps, intentional or not.

Apple's Security Cert blunder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.