Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck in conference mode - Apple TV 3rd Gen

I recently upgraded my Apple TV at home to the 4th gen, and so I took my old 3rd generation ATV to another screen at my office. I've connected it, and it starts up in Conference Room mode for some reason - I've never enabled this setting, and can't seem to exit from it.

Any idea how I can turn this off, or why this is happening?

Apple TV

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2017 1:24 PM

This sounds like conference room mode. Conference room mode can be enabled in such a way that each time the Apple TV starts up, it will immediately go into conference room mode and by-pass all other menu's. This is enabled with a 4 character restrictions code, if you know this code you can exit conference room mode but if not you will need to restore the Apple TV by USB.

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source List)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list, and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2017 1:24 PM in response to chriskay

This sounds like conference room mode. Conference room mode can be enabled in such a way that each time the Apple TV starts up, it will immediately go into conference room mode and by-pass all other menu's. This is enabled with a 4 character restrictions code, if you know this code you can exit conference room mode but if not you will need to restore the Apple TV by USB.

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source List)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list, and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

Mar 8, 2016 6:29 PM in response to chriskay

This post has been unanswered for awhile, but if your question hasn't been answered yet I can try to help.

To get rid of the Conference Room banner, press the Menu button on the remote twice. You will end up on the normal Apple TV Home screen.

To prevent the Apple TV from starting up with Conference Room mode again, go to Settings > AirPlay > Conference Room Display and turn off Conference Room Display.

If none of that works, unplug the Apple TV from its power source and wait about a minute, then plug it back in again.

Stuck in conference mode - Apple TV 3rd Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.