Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt PCI card for 2010 Mac Pro

Hello every one!

i want to know is there any PCI card available in the market which have Thunderbolt ports?

which connects thunderbolt devices to 2010 Mac Pro?

Kindly guide me!

Thanks

Sajid Jan

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 9:44 AM

15 replies

Nov 12, 2015 10:06 AM in response to msajidjan

No. If you read the description carefully you will notice that it is designed for ThunderBolt ready motherboards. The motherboard in your 2010 MP is not ThunderBolt ready. Under the specifications it also states the following;

Supported Operating Systems Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Windows 7 (64-bit)
Compatibility Compatible with the GIGABYTE X99 series motherboards only

So it will do you no go to get that card for your 2010 MP

Nov 12, 2015 4:15 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan Eckert wrote:

My suggestion would be to get a ThunderBolt to Firewire adapter for your 2013 MP then use Firewire to connect to the 2010 MP. If the FW400 is to slow, you can get a FW800 PCIe card for the 2010 MP.

The 2010 Mac Pro has only FW 800, no FW400. A USB 3 card could be added, although attached drives would not be bootable.

Nov 12, 2015 7:24 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Allan Eckert wrote:

Sorry. It was slip on my part. When I was writing that reply some how I managed in my mind to go back to the specs on my Power Mac. By the time I noticed my mistake the edit period had expired.

There is a ThunderBolt to USB 3 adapter available.

Well, the 2006 Mac Pro has at least one FW400 port on the front. I can't see the back of mine right now to see if there are any others. I don't know when FW400 was eliminated, but maybe in the 2007 models?

Nov 12, 2015 7:34 PM in response to msajidjan

When you say "share" through Thunderbolt, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you are trying to create a two node network (e.g. to share with another local Mac), then you can also do that through Ethernet or even FireWire. Even though you likely can't add Thunderbolt to the Mac, you can connect a FireWire cable between the two Macs, or an Ethernet cable, and set up a two node local network between the two that will allow sharing.

Nov 25, 2015 7:07 AM in response to kahjot

The 2009 model has front and rear FireWire 800 ports. Conversion to 400 i2s just a plug adapter or a cable adapter.

If you can get each Mac onto the Internet without re-plugging cables, you already have the infrastructure for Built-in File Sharing, just turn it on. If you have a Gigabit Ethernet switch and 8-wire cables, Gigabit Ethernet is a fast as most rotating Hard drives.

Thunderbolt PCI card for 2010 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.