Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen saver in El Capitan not working either with hot corner or timeout.

Since upgrading to El Capitan my screen saver will no longer activate. It works in preview mode from System Preferences, but neither my hot corner nor timeout will activate it.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 7:54 AM

6 replies

Nov 30, 2015 7:44 AM in response to cschamau

I'm having the same problem. By accident I changed my screensaver to a smaller smart album (less than 300 pictures) and it now works all the time. My original screensaver was using a smart album with over 2,000 pictures. Sometimes it would run but it would stop after a short time and I would get a message on the screen that there were "No Photos". Sometimes i would just get the 'No Photos" message. There did not seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it would work and when it would not. The only constant is that this began after upgrading to El Cap. With the smaller photo album it runs when the machine times out and it runs when I activate it with a hot corner.

I hope Apple fixes this in the future as I would prefer to use my larger smart album that has a lot more variety.

Dec 16, 2015 5:08 PM in response to cschamau

Go to Sys Prefs/ click 'Desktop & Screen Saver'/ click 'Screen Saver'/ click 'Hot Corners'/ choose any Hot Corner option EXCEPT 'Start Screen Saver' (I chose 'Put Display to Sleep')/ Test it/ If this works, sign in to your computer and then Restart/ go to Sys Prefs again and back to Hot Corners and choose 'Start Screen Saver'.

I just upgraded from Yosemite 10.10.5 to 10.11.2 and was upset that I lost my preferred Hot Corner command. Works OK now with multiple Restarts so you should not have to do this again.

Screen saver in El Capitan not working either with hot corner or timeout.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.