Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some of my podcast information is not showing up correctly (authors, and some episodes are missing)

itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/what-the-friends/id1048488245?mt=2

feedburner: http://feeds.feedburner.com/whatthefriends

blogger: http://whatthefriends.blogspot.com/

I'm hosting my files on archive.org, enclosing links in a blogger blog, and then using feedburner. One complication that may be affecting things is that I was originally using soundcloud, but I didn't do enough research and didn't realize that free soundcloud accounts have rather small limits, so I'm now using the "subscriber redirect" features on soundcloud - I put in my feedburner feed url here and soundcloud allegedly just forwards all the traffic through the new url.

I am using the SmartCast feature in feedburner and have filled out all of the information (authors, description, etc).

I'm having a few issues getting my podcast to look right in iTunes:

• the authors: it just lists some "noreply" email @ a blogspot address. It's not pulling from the "author" field of Feedburner's smartcast feature
  • all of the episodes are available if you subscribe, but in the store episodes 1, 3, and 6 are missing. New episodes that I have posted after I stopped using soundcloud and switched to the archive > blogger > feedburner system show up in the store.
  • Pictures. In the itunes directory the picture doesn't show up. I use an ID3 tag editor program to attached the picture to each file, I thought this would ensure that the picture shows up everywhere.

I am grateful for any help that anyone can provide, as I'm new to all of this and don't know how to troubleshoot it. Thanks.

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 10:23 AM

23 replies

Nov 12, 2015 1:58 PM in response to adbyerly

The iTunes Store is showing the author exactly as it is in the feed: <itunes:author>noreply@blogger.com (Ad Byerly)</itunes:author>

It looks as if the feed was modified in some way only very recently. All the episodes show when subscribing, though they are in an odd order in the feed (iTunes sorts them by date, correctly). It's probable that the Store hasn't had time to catch up yet with the current contents of the feed - this can take a couple of days - and that the episodes will appear eventually. It's also possible that there is some sort of glitch going on - it wouldn't be the first time - but even if that's the case it should sort itself out eventually.

Images embedded in the files appear only when subscribing. You appear not to have any 'itunes:image' tags in the feed - you must have had originally or there wouldn't be an image in the Store. In order to get images to appear in the episode results in Search you also need this tag in each episode in addition to the one in the top section, which is used for the Store display.

Nov 12, 2015 2:14 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Alright, thanks. I just have a few questions.

I was under the impression that the feedburner SmartCast optimization would take precedence for things like "author". How do I change the <itunes:author> tag? Also, I have the image in the feedburner Smartcast page, so why doesn't this take precedence? How do I add "itunes:image" tags? edit: thanks for any input on this, I must admit that I don't really know how RSS feeds work, so I have no idea how to fix this if the SmartCast feature isn't working.

I set this up about 2 weeks ago. I published all of the episodes (6 at that time) on blogger in the order that I wanted them to show up in iTunes (1, 2, 3, etc), and I did this in the same day, in relatively quick succession, so I'm confused as to why the iTunes store picked up some of the episodes but not all of them. This was done on November 1st, which is certainly more than a couple of days and seems like the store would have caught up by now. Thanks for the quick reply.

Nov 12, 2015 2:56 PM in response to adbyerly

I'm afraid I can't advise on how to use 'Smartcast' - I can only refer you to Feedburner's Help - though AFAIK when you use Smartcast for a particular tag it over-rides that tag in the original feed.

You would have to provide an image to Feedburner - it's odd though that the tag is not present in the original feed since there is an image in the Store. Possibly it is there in the original, but Feedburner has blocked it while failing to add the image itself. Try removing that facility in Smartcast and see whether the tag returns.

You must have filled out the name for the 'itunes:author' tag somewhere since it does have content; obviously you need to delete the email address and keep just your name.

Nov 12, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Here's an image of the SmartCast page: I filled everything out the way I want it in iTunes so I'm not sure why it's not populating correctly. The image and authors are included in this page, and this page has been like this since November 1st. http://imgur.com/alLcmIx

When you click the "preview" button the image displays correctly. It is the iTunes standard 1400x1400 pixels.

Nov 12, 2015 11:37 PM in response to adbyerly

I can't explain why, but there is no occurrence of the word 'image' in your feed. My guess is that the tag is present in the original feed, since you have an image in your Store page (which is cached and so remains until over-written) but Feedburner is failing to over-ride the tag.

It may or (more likely) not help, but if you post the URL of the original feed and also of the image it would at least give me a little more evidence.

Nov 13, 2015 8:02 AM in response to adbyerly

The Soundcloud feed is essentially the same as the Feedburner one. It too has no 'itunes:image' tag and the contents of the 'itunes:author' tag are the same as I quoted in my first reply.

All this doesn't explain how you come to have an image in the Store. I can only conclude that you had the tag in the feed originally and it got removed, though it's difficult to see how that would happen. (Usually with facilities like this if you don't enter anything in a tag it remains in the feed, but empty). However the feed itself appears to have been made in Blogger, so how it comes to turn up with a Soundcloud URL I don't know.

Nov 20, 2015 12:20 PM in response to adbyerly

Looking at the image of the Smartcast entry fields you posted a while back, though I can't tell for sure from the image my guess is that you are providing a podcast image URL which leads to an Archive.org page, not to an actual image file. This would prevent Smartcast from creating the tag as it wouldn't see it as an image. To enable me to check whether this supposition has any basis could you post the URL you entered for your image.

Some of my podcast information is not showing up correctly (authors, and some episodes are missing)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.