Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is There Any Way to Contact Support any More?

"Contact support" keeps redirecting me to the front page, after I've carefully typed in some of my problems requiring support, etc.

I used to be able to get through that. I still had trouble, though, because the only options are chat (which isn't working, perhaps due to Firefox issues), phone (which I can't use, due to hyperacusis), and the genius bar (which I can't go to, due to hyperacusis and other sensory issues). I would get a blank chat window. I wouldn't even get a confirmation email.

I really need some help finding out how to save my work, erase El Capitan, reinstall Yosemite, and restore my work from El Capitan.

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 3:37 PM

Hi,

"I really need some help finding out how to save my work, erase El Capitan, reinstall Yosemite, and restore my work from El Capitan."

Yosemite and El Capitan are two different operating systems. OS X Recovery will restore OS X to the currently installed OS X.

You can use Time Machine (located in your Applications folder) to backup your important data to external storage > Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

You can erase OS X then restore by using OS X Recovery.

You can restore your data from a Time Machine backup using OS X Recovery all well.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Marja E

Hi,

"I really need some help finding out how to save my work, erase El Capitan, reinstall Yosemite, and restore my work from El Capitan."

Yosemite and El Capitan are two different operating systems. OS X Recovery will restore OS X to the currently installed OS X.

You can use Time Machine (located in your Applications folder) to backup your important data to external storage > Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac

You can erase OS X then restore by using OS X Recovery.

You can restore your data from a Time Machine backup using OS X Recovery all well.

Nov 12, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thank you!

I know it's a bit more convoluted going back to Yosemite, but I was able to erase and reinstall El Capitan.

Finder search is working, at last. Preview search is working! Scarlett search is still not working. Calculator in the Notifications Center is still stuck on "46." Mail still has no way to disable swipes, I'll have to downgrade to fix that.

Is There Any Way to Contact Support any More?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.