Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro dead after leaving on charge overnight

I picked up an iPad Pro (128Gb + cellular) yesterday. Set up and used it all day. Very impressed and the large screen quickly became the new normal.

When I went to bed, I left it on charge overnight although this morning, the iPad is dead. It won't power up.

I have tried plugging it into iTunes but it isn't recognised.

Tried removing it from the Apple silicone case, but no change.

Any ideas?

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2015 7:01 PM

Force restart your iPad.

Press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

If that doesn't help, you have 14 calendar days from the time your items are delivered to initiate a return as noted here.

29 replies

Nov 15, 2015 9:14 AM in response to crumpethead

There was/is a bug in the iOS 9 software that affected those of us with iPhone 6S initially. The same thing occurred. It only happened once to me and has not been repeated. Same conditions, left on charger overnight and dead in the morning. I don't know if this was fixed in an update or not but it has not reoccurred so I'm ok.

Currently I'm having a problem with the System sounds on the iPad Pro. Again I believe it's software and I won't be returning it. If you returned every device that experiences a software glitch you wouldn't keep or have anything.

Nov 15, 2015 1:04 PM in response to crumpethead

Im having the same exact problem here too with the iPad Pro 128 WiFi. No matter what the percent is when I put it on the charger for the night, it is totally off in the morning. A normal power button push doesn't start it up at all. I have to hold the both buttons in to do a system reset for 10 seconds to make it come on. It's a real problem because you can't just leave apps open on it at recharge time because of having to reset later makes you loose everythin. I consider this a really big problem at this point.

Nov 16, 2015 3:56 PM in response to crumpethead

This issue has been happening globally. I'm sure Apple will release a statement soon stating what is wrong; whether it is a hardware issue - which will result in your device being replaced for free, or a software issue - in which case a new version of iOS 9 will be released. I wouldn't recommend returning it back just yet, until it has been diagnosed what the issue is. It might just be a case of updating to a new version of iOS 9 (9.3). Just wait till Apple releases a statement.

Nov 16, 2015 4:58 PM in response to mwallis1997

Many of us had the issue with the new 6S. I had it happen once but it did not repeat. With the iPad Pro I do not know of anyone on the 9.2 beta who has had the problem. I haven't. So my guess is that it is software and all these restores and set up as new or whatever are just shots in the dark and unnecessary. And won't help anyway. When 9.2 is released it should fix it for most.

Nov 17, 2015 9:25 AM in response to crumpethead

I bought my iPad Pro on Friday 13th, (bad omen), and on two occasions after being on charge overnight the ipad was dead. Had to do a hard start. Contacted Apple and they say that they have not heard of any hardware or software problems and to take it back to the place of purchase for an exchange or refund. If I exchange I will have to go through the setup process all over again, not a quick process from a 128gb iPad Air. If I get a refund what was the point in buying one in the first place. Doesn't sound as if they're willing to admit that there is a problem either hardware or software. Will we ever get a fix..?

Nov 21, 2015 1:50 AM in response to Wobbon

I have had exactly the same problem for a week now. Been in contact with Apple support and they say take it back and exchange. as there are others with this problem I am not going to do that yet. Put the iPad Pro on charge overnight as usual but awoke and checked it in the early hours. I decided to disconect from the mains at about 04.00. When I checked it at 0800 it came on without any problem and was still at 100% charge..? Obviously there is a problem with the charging system. Come on Apple, get your finger out and sort it please..!

iPad Pro dead after leaving on charge overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.