Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Harmonize sequence settings

Hi,

I am wondering how to best arrange the work for a project with several scenes which I don't yet know in which order to be placed. I was thinking that it's best to have one scene per sequence. But then, of course, the sequence settings has to be identical for them to be added to the same timeline at one point.

If I add the clips to different sequence settings, can I change that afterwards, harmonize them?

Or how do I ensure that the sequences have identical settings from the start, do they have that by default?

Is it enough to right click on the sequense in the browser window, choose settings ... and there they are? Or is there more to it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 2:49 PM

This is in regards to FCP-7, correct, not FCP-X?

Dewjack wrote:

I was thinking that it's best to have one scene per sequence.

That's a good way to work.

But then, of course, the sequence settings has to be identical for them to be added to the same timeline at one point.

Not strictly true but much easier for you if they are identical.

If I add the clips to different sequence settings, can I change that afterwards, harmonize them?

Yes, but if the frame size is not the same it will create problems with any scale or position effects you have done. You may have to rebuild effects and reposition objects such as titles when you paste the contents of one sequence into another that has different pixel dimensions.

Or how do I ensure that the sequences have identical settings from the start, do they have that by default?

The easiest way is to create a sequence that is set to the correct sequence settings. Then duplicate that sequence and rename the duplicates the scene names you are editing. When you are done editing the scenes, you can copy and paste the scene sequence contents into the original timeline in the order you want. That way all the sequence settings are the same.

Is it enough to right click on the sequense in the browser window, choose settings ... and there they are? Or is there more to it?

Click anywhere in the timeline. Type Command + 0 {zero} to see the sequence settings.

MtD

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Dewjack

This is in regards to FCP-7, correct, not FCP-X?

Dewjack wrote:

I was thinking that it's best to have one scene per sequence.

That's a good way to work.

But then, of course, the sequence settings has to be identical for them to be added to the same timeline at one point.

Not strictly true but much easier for you if they are identical.

Yes, but if the frame size is not the same it will create problems with any scale or position effects you have done. You may have to rebuild effects and reposition objects such as titles when you paste the contents of one sequence into another that has different pixel dimensions.

The easiest way is to create a sequence that is set to the correct sequence settings. Then duplicate that sequence and rename the duplicates the scene names you are editing. When you are done editing the scenes, you can copy and paste the scene sequence contents into the original timeline in the order you want. That way all the sequence settings are the same.

Click anywhere in the timeline. Type Command + 0 {zero} to see the sequence settings.

MtD

Harmonize sequence settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.