Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac with question mark folder

I experienced the dreaded question mark folder on startup. I first thought it was the hard drive. After replacing it with a new drive it booted fine, but next day it was back to the question mark. So I replaced the cable, installed the original drive and it worked fine. Next day, yup you guessed it, back to question mark. I booted it from the new drive as external and boots up fine. I have run repair on both drives and both come back OK. I have run verify and repaired a few permissions that needed it. Put drive back in, worked fine. next day back to question mark.... So what could be the problem? motherboard? battery? I also reset NVRAM, but no change. This is a mid 2012 13 in Macbook.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 4:20 PM

2 replies

Nov 12, 2015 7:27 PM in response to smu960

The PRAM battery could be having problems. Take it in for service, when all else fails. All the ? folder means is that it can't find a startup volume. If you see it temporarily only to disappear and the startup resume its course, it means the last setup Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Startup Disk is unavailable, but it will switch to the first available one. And if it does switch automatically, then all you have to do to solve it, is go to the Startup Disk System Preference to reset the present Startup Disk that System Preferences looks for on startup.

mac with question mark folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.