Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I install Windows with Boot Camp in other HDD?

Hi friends.

I have an iMac late 2013 top with i7/16Gb/3Tb fusion/GTX 780M...

I delete fusion drive configuration and have 2 separate disk --> 1SSD 128 + 3Tb.

User uploaded file

OSX install in SSD but I want to install Windows in HDD 3Tb because need storage in Windows no need speed...

When I want to choose HDD partition in Boot Camp assistant, only can choose HDD if I want to erase disk complete but I want to create second partition in HDD (first option uncheck) because in this partition have a lot of files and folders...

User uploaded file

Can I change partition to install Windows?

Thanks!!

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2015 9:25 AM

What version of Windows do you want to install? On Late2013 models, you do not need to use BC Assistant to install Windows. You will still need BC drivers.

Create a Free Space partition on the HDD using Disk Utility, use the BCA-created USB Installer and select EFI Boot. When asked to choose a partition, point to the Free Space partition you just created, and install Windows. Once installed, install BC Drivers.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2015 9:25 AM in response to GoldFran

What version of Windows do you want to install? On Late2013 models, you do not need to use BC Assistant to install Windows. You will still need BC drivers.

Create a Free Space partition on the HDD using Disk Utility, use the BCA-created USB Installer and select EFI Boot. When asked to choose a partition, point to the Free Space partition you just created, and install Windows. Once installed, install BC Drivers.

Nov 24, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T

It´s my fault and my ridiculous question... Sometimes We ask stupid questions when we have the answers in front of us 🙂. And that, I am sysadmin and Apple OSX used Management Certificate (Yosemite)... Bad day I suppose 😟

Only create new partition in HDD and BC-Assist check this to choice. Create USB bootable with Windows 10 and BC-Drivers. Bootcamp reboot my iMac and ready to install

Nov 28, 2015 10:04 AM in response to Loner T

I think... Would it be enough 40Gb in SSD to install Windows 10 base system? It´s more faster SSD than HDD but less space...

User uploaded file

Maybe install Windows in SSD and them install apps (WinRar, Office...) in one partition in HDD... Is it Bad idea?

I'll use almost always with VMWare fusion... VMWare support lunch BootCamp Windows in OSX 🙂

What do you think?

Nov 28, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Loner T

It´s iMac 27 inch, late 2013 flagship (i7 4770 3,5Gb Tb 4,3Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 3Tb Fusion Drive and GeForce GTX 780M 4Gb GDDR5) 🙂

User uploaded file

I was erase fusion drive and separate 2 physical disk: 128 SSD and 3Tb HDD.

It´s very stupid from Apple that we can not update SSD because 128 in date, it´s poor...

User uploaded file

Sorry, my fault xD --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1p3B4bWZNA but It´s so much difficult to upgrade... talking about $3.000... If I broke any components or cables, I stay out jumping by the 5th floor jaja

Nov 28, 2015 1:28 PM in response to GoldFran

You do not need to do any hardware replacement.

1. Backup OSX via Time Machine.

2. Break the Fusion drive in Internet Recovery Console.

3. Split the SSD in half ~ 60GB each.

4. Use one half to install Windows (recommendation is to use the lower SSD half for Windows). Please install W8.1 or higher using EFI.

5. Create a Fusion drive using the upper 60GB and half the HDD as a Fusion drive and use Migration Assistant to restore OS X from TM.

6. Use the second HDD half as D: for Windows and install applications on D: as necessary.

Nov 29, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Loner T

Hi!

I think that don´t understand you clearly:

1. Backup OSX via Time Machine.

Two week ago, I did install El Capitan (clear install without TM Recovery) and I take long time , I can´t allow me this again

2. Break the Fusion drive in Internet Recovery Console.

I remember you that I haven´t Fusion Drive, this step isn´t necesary.

3. Split the SSD in half ~ 60GB each.

4. Use one half to install Windows (recommendation is to use the lower SSD half for Windows). Please install W8.1 or higher using EFI.

I understandb you say break in 2 parts SSD (half space aprox.) 60Gb first position to OSX and second for Windows,

5. Create a Fusion drive using the upper 60GB and half the HDD as a Fusion drive and use Migration Assistant to restore OS X from TM.

6. Use the second HDD half as D: for Windows and install applications on D: as necessary.

2 steps don´t understand.

First, you want to I create Fusion drive with one half of SSD and half of HDD to install OSX? Fusion 60 SSD + 1,5Tb HDD more or less.

Second, Install Windows 8.x + in other half SSD and them use other half or HDD to App from Windows?

It makes no sense to me... use windows occasionally, lose much space with this steps.

Fusion drive It´s very slowly tham separate physical disk...

Can I install Windows with Boot Camp in other HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.