Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DDR3 compatibility

I recently upgraded the RAM in my mid-2012 MPB from 4Gb to 8Gb (DDR3-1600).

I also have an early-2009 Mac Mini that has 2Gb RAM (DDR3-1066).

Will the early-2009 Mac Mini run properly if I replace the RAM with the leftover 4Gb RAM (DDR3-1600) from the MBP?

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Installed EVO 840 250Gb SSD

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 6:02 PM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2015 2:32 PM in response to charlynmars

The gap between the slowest speed RAM and the fastest, is likely

too great for the fast memory to function in the slower speed Mac.

Some users of 1333MHz RAM were able to put 1600MHz RAM in

and have them work OK, but not faster than the slower RAM spec.

To assume the pin-count is the same, and voltage ranges, too.

So as was already stated, you are the spinning wheel:

And it is a gamble 😐

Nov 13, 2015 3:48 AM in response to charlynmars

charlynmars wrote:

I recently upgraded the RAM in my mid-2012 MPB from 4Gb to 8Gb (DDR3-1600).

I also have an early-2009 Mac Mini that has 2Gb RAM (DDR3-1066).

Will the early-2009 Mac Mini run properly if I replace the RAM with the leftover 4Gb RAM (DDR3-1600) from the MBP?

It is usually a crapshoot. There are three things that can happen:

1. Work without issue

2. Work but create all manor of odd behavior, system crashes, etc.

3. won't boot at all.

As Macs are typically really fussy about RAM, you are spinning the wheel and

one of the three results will happen.

Nov 13, 2015 10:26 PM in response to lllaass

Since the Mac Mini and MacBook Pro of certain vintage are in the discussion as first posted

those are what my general assessment is based; and reading other community discussions

where users tried several kinds of RAM, some unofficially supported & others unsupported...

As my Mac Mini (Late 2012 i7 quad server) can use the 1600GHz spec RAM similar to the

MacBook Pro of certain model build years that overlap those specs of both Mini & MB/Pro

this is where my interest in knowing the correct RAM as written in specifications. In some

locations online, there are subtle differences in those specifications in voltage & other detail

so I had read of those in an attempt to determine which varieties of marginal spec RAM may

have been problems for certain users who had issues. And these were of main brand quality.

Even OWC and Crucial offers similar spec RAM and suggests certain models can or cannot

use them, on one page; then later on in their own database, a conflict of information is found.

So while some MacBook Pro or Mac Mini (before-soldered memory) models could use slower

or faster than officially endorsed specification part not directly intended for their specific unit,

I would not recommend those with an extra part collecting dust in a drawer, to make it fit...

Every so often, especially when I used to have a hobby room with more than 78+ Macs in it,

I'd clear out or find a new home for old parts that I decided to not keep around anymore. So if

someone has extra parts and they aren't certain of their viability, I suggest learn before using.

But that's just me.

I can always afford to do without and avoid buyer remorse, twice.😝

Nov 15, 2015 7:10 PM in response to charlynmars

I went ahead and installed the 2x2Gb 1600 RAM and got all sorts of headache. The machine would not boot properly.
Eventually I was able to run disk utility from my SL install CD and got the following:
(truncated)

Checking catalog file
Incorrect block count for file SystemEntropyCache
(it should be 1 instead of 0)
Keys out of order
The volume HD appears corrupt and needs to be repaired
Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

then after clicking Repair Disk it cooked for a minute or two "Rebuilding catalog B-tree" and then informed me that the disk could not be repaired.

of course everything was fine and running smoothly before my ill-fated attempt to swap in the 2x2gb 1600 speed modules.

so i then re-installed the correct the 2x1Gb 1066 speed modules.

i also removed the now-corrupt OEM HDD and installed a new SSD, installed SL from CD, upgraded to 10.6.8, then to 10.11.1
i was able to restore data from Time Machine backup after the SL install portion.
all is well now, but I spent a lot of extra time trying to use incompatible RAM which apparently caused my HDD to become corrupted.
BTW - 10.11.1 seems to run just fine on the old early-2009 Mac mini with the minimal 2Gb RAM, and feels like a new (faster) machine now with the SSD.
thank you to all of you for the input.
i'll be back

DDR3 compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.