Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access chapters on Apple TV 4?

How do you access chapters on Apple TV 4 movies? On the older ATVs you would click down on the remote. Can't figure out how to do this with the Siri Remote on ATV 4.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Nov 12, 2015 8:24 PM

9 replies

Feb 5, 2016 10:42 AM in response to imbucki

How can you designate a language for the chapter track?

There are probably a number of utilities that can do this depending on your platform and operating system, Since I'm using an iMac under El Capitan, I've used video editors like QT 7 Pro, metadata modifiers like Metadata Hootenanny, and muxing utilities like Subler in the past. Of the three examples given, I normally prefer Subler since it not only lets me to quickly re-designate track language associations, but fix or restore audio track fallbacks, easily generate fixed time interval chapter tracks, modify aspect ratios (anamorphic and/or non-anamorphic scaling values), and/or remux data to to an M4V file container as may be needed for any given project. (I.e., IMHO it is a very handy little multipurpose utility to keep on hand.) In any case, using Subler, you would simply select the chapter track in the utility window, then select an available "language" in the utility pop-up window, and lastly save the modified data back to the original file container or copy the entire file to a new file container.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2016 11:24 AM in response to imbucki

This does not, however, change the fact that ATV4 does not have the ability to go to the next chapter without accessing the chapter list via swipedown.

Sounds like you are addressing an issue of how to jump to the next/previous chapter within a file (as opposed to accessing a particular chapter within a "chapter list") rather than the issue that prevents some users from even seeing any chapter list at all. While I agree that I personally preferred the older skip functionality of the chaptered timeline, I can live with either approach. If you can't, suggest you send product feedback requesting a software enhancement. For instance, I suspect the "10 sec" control function could be re-programmed as a forward/backward chapter skip option if enough people complain about the issue of having to enter the "Info" display window to make chapter selections—especially in view of the fact that the Siri skip forward/backwards functionality works fine on its own in terms of time (sec/min) increments but doesn't seem to work with chapter markers.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2016 12:46 PM in response to Jon Walker

There are two chapter-related issues. Not seeing the chapter lists at all is related to the chapter metadata (something about assigning a language to it). MetaX (Windows) is being updated to be able to tag files appropriately, after which you can see the chapters. I was provided a test version from Dan Hinsley, and it works.

The second, is a convenience factor. One-touch, next chapter functionality for movies has been around since the DVD. But Apple has decided that users are more interested in swiping ahead to non-specific points rather than havingt the convenience of a one-push, next chapter functionality. That is counter-intuitive.

Once you clear the hurdle of the chapters not showing up,, you will then be confronted with the fact that the only way to get to the next chapter is to swipe down, select Info, swipe down to the chapter list, swipe across to the next chapter, select it, menu out to the movie.

How to access chapters on Apple TV 4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.