Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange black line in Safari 9.0.1/ OS X 10.11.1

I started seeing this strange black line at the top right corner. It is show when you scroll down through a website's content and then scroll back to the top.

It is very strange. Showed up yesterday and I do not install plugins for Safari. Anybody got a clue?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 7:36 AM

15 replies

Nov 13, 2015 9:03 AM in response to i.konov

I see, it's the short horizontal black bar.

I don't have an explanation for it, but I doubt it is an indication of anything malicious. Verify that you did not install any Safari Extensions that may account for it: Safari menu > Preferences... > Extensions. If you see any Extensions that you do not recognize, uninstall them and they will be gone. If in doubt, uninstall all of them. None are required for normal operation.

If you suspect Safari itself is corrupted, consider downloading and installing the OS X 10.11.1 "Combo" update, here: OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 Update. Do not obtain it from any other source.

If you are not experiencing other, obvious problems with your Mac I'd be inclined to disregard it as a visual artifact that may be addressed in a future OS X update.

Nov 15, 2015 1:34 AM in response to John Galt

I do install Apple software only through the App Store excluding Xcode betas that are of course downloaded from Apple Developer website.

It has not appeared after restarting my machine when I spotted the black bar. It seemed to be appearing with any site. Unfortunately I can't recall after loading a particular one it appeared.

It might be a rendering bug in WebKit.

Nov 15, 2015 11:35 AM in response to John Galt

I think I got it. It seems to be a bug definitely. It only appears in fullscreen mode. I can reproduce it by loading a website. Then opening a new tab and loading another site in it. Works with any website.

Does this happen on your machines if you do these steps? And actually are you using the same versions of Safari/OS X?

Nov 15, 2015 4:44 PM in response to i.konov

At present I am using those same versions, but do not have access to that same model Mac at the moment. When I do I'll attempt to duplicate the behavior and let you know.

It might be a corrupted Safari installation, or a bug particular to that model. You might try applying the OS X 10.11.1 "Combo" update to determine if it eliminates the artifact.

Nov 24, 2015 8:45 PM in response to i.konov

i.konov it may interest you to know that I am encountering that same visual artifact as you on that model MBP. It comes and goes though. I can't seem to correlate it with anything in particular, and I have been unable to capture a screenshot.

In any event, I believe you are correct in concluding it's a bug that Apple may or may not address in a future OS X update.

Aug 3, 2016 6:31 AM in response to Segrei Kurilenko

You might want to start your own post since this one is from last year. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one.

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

Strange black line in Safari 9.0.1/ OS X 10.11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.