Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect an apple display 27 thunderbolt to mac pro 2012

how to connect an apple display 27 thunderbolt to mac pro 2012?

Can I use a DVI to Thunderbolt/minidisplay port to connect the video card of My Mac Pro Mid 2012 to the apple cinema display thunderbolt 27"?

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 8:44 AM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2015 8:48 AM in response to GUATAPARO

This was extracted from the Apple website, but I have seen many posts stating it would not work.

I would appreciate any thoughts about this issue.

Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (Single Link)

Part: MB570Z WW (except China, Taiwan, Korea); MB570FE (in China, Taiwan, and Korea)

Use: Use the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter to connect an advanced digital monitor, such as the 20- or 23-inch Apple Cinema Display, that includes a DVI connector.

Compatible with:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012) and later
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) and later
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008) and later
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009) and later
  • MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) and later
  • MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008) and later
  • Mac mini (Early 2009) and later
  • iMac (20-inch, Early 2009) and later
  • iMac (24-inch, Early 2009) and later
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009) and later

Nov 13, 2015 4:00 PM in response to GUATAPARO

sorry-there is no such thing as a PCI-E thunderbolt internal expansion card. Your Mac must have thunderbolt built into the logic board for it to work. I think it's one way only. I don't see any other way to connect your Thunderbolt monitor to your Mac Pro 2012, apart from a Thunderbolt dock, which I don't know will work or not. If you had a mac with thunderbolt built in, you could use a miniDisplayPort to TB adapter, but sadly, if you have HDMI, or MiniDP you can't go to Thunderbolt.

JB

Nov 14, 2015 2:40 AM in response to Johnb-one

There is not way to get Thunderbolt on a 2006-2012 Mac Pro. Thus, there is not way to use a TB monitor for those Macs. There is no TB dock for those Macs since to use a dTB dock the computer has to have TB

Also, you stated " If you had a mac with thunderbolt built in, you could use a miniDisplayPort to TB adapter,

No correct. There is no mdp>TB adopter, Although a mdp cable will plug into a TB port it only convays nmd (vide w/audio, it dose not convay TB dta. Yu can't use a mdp cable between tow TB device since a mdp cable is not interchangeable with w TB cable.

how to connect an apple display 27 thunderbolt to mac pro 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.