Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find the administrator password to change it please? My unit was set up by Best Buy, I called them, they do not know who set it up or how to change it.

I bought my unit at Best Buy. They set the whole thing up for me. Now it is asking for the Administrator Password because I am trying to add something. I do not know what they set it as, I called them, they do not know who set it up or how to even find the administrator password. Can you help?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 9:47 AM

2 replies

Nov 13, 2015 4:19 PM in response to Karen L Seure

sure---good heavens ! Leopard? oh well.... click on the Large Apple icon at the top left of the screen, then go to system preferences, then Accounts,click on the Lock icon to unlock it, choose user account with forgotten password, click on "Reset Password" button, if you set a password, you might want to pick something meaningful to you, maybe write it down??

you should be able to login to the user account you couldn't get into before

good luck

JB

Nov 13, 2015 5:01 PM in response to Karen L Seure

OS X Lion: Reset a login password

OS X Mountain Lion: Reset a login password

OS X Mavericks: Reset a login password

OS X Yosemite: Reset a login password

OS X El Capitan: Reset a login password

Try the procedure under reset your user password with your Apple ID.

If that does not work for whatever reason you can also use the following technique:

1. Restart your Mac while holding down the ⌘ and R keys at the same time until you see the OS X Recovery screen.
  2. From the menu bar at the top, select Utilities > Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window type resetpassword and press Enter. A window will open behind Terminal that looks like this

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

1. Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD" in the above screenshot), choose your user account from the dropdown selection, enter a new password, complete the password hint field, and click Save.
  2. You may then see a confirmation dialog explaining how this change affects Keychain Access and what to do about it. Remember it or write it down, then click OK.
  3. Quit Reset Password
  4. Quit Terminal
  5. Quit OS X Utilities and restart your Mac.

To fix your Keychain problems, go to your Utilities folder and open Keychain Access. Follow the steps here: Mac OS X: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password.

How do I find the administrator password to change it please? My unit was set up by Best Buy, I called them, they do not know who set it up or how to change it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.