Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netgear router printing does not work with El Capitan

I have a Netgear router that will not print now that I have upgraded to El Capitan. Netgear claims they are awaiting source code from Apple in order update the printing utility. What gives, is Apple trying to make us use only their routers?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 12:38 PM

11 replies

Nov 13, 2015 1:19 PM in response to LostPetral

the developer code from Apple has been available to developers for several months.

How does your router "print"?

My printer (HP Office Jet) is connected to my Netgear router and I am printing from OS 10.11.1 over Wi-Fi

so is something specific happening? is there an error message? Does your printer device have drivers that will work in OS 10.11?

Nov 13, 2015 1:30 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

I have an R6300 Netgear router hooked to Brothers printer. Before upgrading to El Cap it worked fine, after the Netgear USB Control Center will not hook up at all. Here is a link to the Netgear support community, there are quite a few others in the same boat as I. https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/NETGEAR-USB-Control-Center -utility-for-MAC-OS-X-El-Capitan/m-p/981365#U981365

They continue to state that they do not have the source code from Apple.

Nov 16, 2015 8:39 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

JimmyCMPIT,

The issue is with printing using the Netgear USB Control Center through the router in order to print to a printer that does not have WiFi built in. The latest response from one of the admins for the Netgear communities is:

~~~~~

We apologize for the delay as we are still awaiting for the source code from Apple to make an updated working USB Control Center utility.

Thank you all for your patience.

ElaineM
Community Team

~~~~~

Seems this issue was raised over two months ago with Netgear, and they continue to tow this same line blaming Apple.

Nov 17, 2015 5:57 AM in response to drobba

Drivers for 10.11

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04835529

if the printer is not working over USB through router and you need it for multiple host computers can you connect via ethernet and give the printer a IP address through the router and would it work that way?
It sounds like the issue is El Cap and the router via USB and until Apple and Netgear actually do something constructive about the problem you won't be able to print over the network unless you change the way the printer connects.

Nov 25, 2015 8:51 PM in response to JimmyCMPIT

@JimmyCMPIT: The hardwire connections you suggested would indeed work--as a workaround.

I think what LostPetral (and the rest of the Netgear users) are getting at is that people around the globe have purchased a Netgear WiFi router that included a utility that allowed users to print wirelessly through certain Netgear routers... Until El Capitan came along.

The request is for Apple to release the OS10.11 source code to Netgear (which it has not done yet, if you believe that Netgear is subject to Apple's open source releases at http://www.opensource.apple.com/) so that Netgear can release an update of the relevant utility (Netgear ReadyShare Printer Utility), and all the people who purchased a Netgear router in the last year can have their router's WiFi printing functionality restored.

I hope that helps clarify what the ask/issue is.

Jan 13, 2016 1:27 AM in response to DCMac101

Latest update from a Elaine of Netgear is that their developers need Apple's USB Driver rather than the OS source code to complete this upgrade and make the wifi printing available again.

Apple guys, can you help us here? There must be more to this than Netgear is telling us as Netgear themselves are unable to resolve the problem (if it really was that simple).

Anyway, I am no computer expert and came to this forum to find out how to turn off the Netgear pop-up box that keeps telling me the installation is incomplete?

Can anyone guide me?

Netgear router printing does not work with El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.