Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'd just like to express my surprise and disappointment that there is no optical out on Apple TV 4th Gen. I thought I would just remove my old one and plug in the new one. No better than Google Chrome. No 5.1 surround for me.

I'd just like to express my surprise and disappointment that there is no optical out on Apple TV 4th Gen. I thought I would just remove my old one and plug in the new one. What brilliant mind at Apple decided that this optical port wasn't important? All surround formats flow freely through the optical. I know I could buy a HDMI splitter, but not all digital surround formats are supported on them. Why did they do this? Why break something that was fixed?I just sent mine back. I'll have to stick with the 3rd Gen TV.

Apple TV (3rd generation), tvOS 9.0.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 11:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 11:47 AM

If you would like to express your surprise and disappointment to Apple, then go to the feedback page. This is a user to user technical support forum, and no one has anything to do with that. Apple does not participate in the forum. http://www.apple.com/feedback and click on the appropriate subject area.

8 replies

I'd just like to express my surprise and disappointment that there is no optical out on Apple TV 4th Gen. I thought I would just remove my old one and plug in the new one. No better than Google Chrome. No 5.1 surround for me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.