Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best way to approach a multi camera shoot?

Hello all - I am looking to do a (5) multi camera shoot in my recording studio on a weekly basis for music instructional vids. I'd like to have the cameras hard wired to my Mac Pro desktop and capture audio simutaneously with Digital Performer.

I can't seem to find any opinions on what hardware / software is best to pull of this project. Is there some kind of device that accepts HD cams into Mac other than just getting a USB hub? Or is that the best way? It would be great not to have to remove the HD cams for uploading , just leave them mounted .

Any camera suggestions ? I tried using (5) gopro 4 cams and it was a wifi syncing nightmare ...they rarely all sync'd....although it is a less expensive alternative to get good HD quality. One button recording (remote) amongst all (5) cams is a must...

Software ...assuming everyone in here will point to Final Cut Pro X ? I want to import 5 feeds of video , then edit and sync my Digital Performer audio track and it would be nice to edit the audio / video simultaneously...

thanks in advance for any advice!

matthias

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 11:44 AM

This article by Mark Spencer may give you some useful info and insights about workflow.

Alsothis exampledidn't use live capture but it was a complex music recording session that used FCP X and it's interesting for what's possible using a MBP.

All the multicam work I have done was with multiple streams recorded to cameras and recorders or where the cuts were baked in by the switcher operator. So I can't be much help in recommending hardware.

Since you apparently don't need super-quick turn-around, perhaps consider recording to separate devices and then ingesting the individual streams into your computer, If you try Final Cut Pro X for this, you will find its multicam workflow very smooth and very fast.

Good luck.

Russ

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Gretzky99

This article by Mark Spencer may give you some useful info and insights about workflow.

Alsothis exampledidn't use live capture but it was a complex music recording session that used FCP X and it's interesting for what's possible using a MBP.

All the multicam work I have done was with multiple streams recorded to cameras and recorders or where the cuts were baked in by the switcher operator. So I can't be much help in recommending hardware.

Since you apparently don't need super-quick turn-around, perhaps consider recording to separate devices and then ingesting the individual streams into your computer, If you try Final Cut Pro X for this, you will find its multicam workflow very smooth and very fast.

Good luck.

Russ

Nov 14, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ - when you say record to "separate devices" you mean HD cams? I'm trying to avoid having to move the cams to upload to Mac Desktop...would be nice if I could record to all 5 cameras and then go to Mac & all the files I have recorded are accessible immediately without having to remove camera and connect to a USB hub .

thanks again!

best way to approach a multi camera shoot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.