Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to upload my saved website, built in IWeb to server but not showing changes made after publish. Called server, all working on their end. Saved again, turned IWeb off and on again, changes made still there, just won't publish. Help!

I hope someone can help me! I am working on a 2009 Macbook (6,1) OSx version 10.6.8 (2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 1.07 Ghz Bus speed, SMC version system: 1.5lf53. My current website is built in IWeb 3.0.4 (the last that it let me update before they removed it from Macs). I just made some changes to it, which I saved and tried to upload to my server. The changes showed that they were saved in IWeb, even after closing and restarting IWeb. When I went to upload it to the server (this would be the 10th or so time now in the last two days trying to get this to work) it did not reflect any of the changes I made to the site on any of the multiple browsers I viewed it on. I spoke with my server, Dreamhost, who saw that the site had updated several times in the last few days, so no problem on their end. The customer service rep there tried to help me explore why my saved IWeb changes were not making it to the published site. I updated it a month ago and it worked the same way it always has, without any problems. Has anyone encountered this at all recently? Any ideas? I really need to update my site! Thanks in advance!

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 3:29 PM

How are you uploading your site to your server? Is it via the built in iWeb ftp or are you publishing to your desktop from iWeb and then uploading with an ftp programme such as Cyberduck?

If you are uploading via iWeb ftp, then this could be the problem.

Try publishing your site to your desktop and then using Cyberduck or any other good ftp programme such as Transmit or Yummy ftp to upload the files to your server. This way, you can connect to your server and see exactly what files and there and if needed delete them and start again and then your changes should show.

Other than that, have you clearer your browser cache? Changes sometimes do not show if you have not done this.

Lastly, iWeb is only going to get more incompatible, so perhaps you should thing about moving on and re-building your website using a product that is currently supported and updated such as EverWeb?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2015 3:29 PM in response to noidavail

How are you uploading your site to your server? Is it via the built in iWeb ftp or are you publishing to your desktop from iWeb and then uploading with an ftp programme such as Cyberduck?

If you are uploading via iWeb ftp, then this could be the problem.

Try publishing your site to your desktop and then using Cyberduck or any other good ftp programme such as Transmit or Yummy ftp to upload the files to your server. This way, you can connect to your server and see exactly what files and there and if needed delete them and start again and then your changes should show.

Other than that, have you clearer your browser cache? Changes sometimes do not show if you have not done this.

Lastly, iWeb is only going to get more incompatible, so perhaps you should thing about moving on and re-building your website using a product that is currently supported and updated such as EverWeb?

Nov 17, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Ethmoid

This was so helpful...yet I am running into some problems still...I emptied my cache (since that seemed like the quickest solution) and tried to publish my site again. It actually made it worse. Now, not only is it not showing my most recent changes, it is giving me a "404" error messages to any name or job that I highlight to go to another page. I tried to find where the site is downloading to my desktop (and I think I did based on your description to another person with the same problem but of course I can only open it in IWeb). In the above message, you mentioned that I could publish the changes to my desktop...How do I do that? It does not give me this option. It gives me "publish site changes" and "publish entire site" only. I just looked all over for where (a long time ago when I did use Cyberduck) a desktop folder of my site might be. I found lots of the same version in different places, but they are saved from 2009 or something.

After all this looking around, I just tried the "publish entire site" version again (still waiting for that to happen now) and watched it upload all of the pages on my website for publish. So where do you think the disconnect is? If IWEB is recognizing these changes and uploading them to the site for publish...where/how are they getting lost between IWeb and the server? So confusing! I spoke with Everweb about switching to them this morning, and it sounds like a viable option, but I will need to be able to publish my site to my desktop first (again, it does not give me that option). Please help! Thank you!

Site finished publishing. for the past two years it has been giving me an "error" message (guess I should have mentioned this earlier 🙂) that I have disregarded entirely, since it was still publishing my site without a problem...now I am wondering if it IS the real problem after another unsuccessful publish. Here it is: There was an error communicating with the FTP server. Try again later, or check with your service provider.

Help... again!

Nov 18, 2015 12:45 AM in response to noidavail

Yes, of course iWeb gives you the option to publish your site to a local folder. You are looking in the wrong place.

If you click on File, which you have probably done, then there is just gives you the option to publish changes or publish your entire site. You need to go to the site publishing settings at the top. Go to where you pages names are on the left hand site when you open iWeb and there is a list of all your page names and then your site name at the very top. Click on your Site name and it will then give you publishing options - one will be the old MobileMe, then FTP and then Local Folder and it is the Local Folder option that you want to pick.

You can then set which folder you want to publish to - it might be easier just to publish your site directly to your Desktop so that you can see it and you should know by now that iWeb always publishes any site in a folder that has the same name as your Site Name, so whatever you named your site in iWeb will be where your website is on your desktop and these files, once published are html and css files and you CANNOT open them with iWeb. iWeb cannot do this, so if you want to open them, then you need to do so in a browser such as Safari - double click on the folder to open it and then click on the index.html file and then Safari will open your site and you can see your pages.

You then need to use Cyberduck to upload your site to your server and this way you will be able to see exactly what has been published and what has not and if needed, you can delete things off your server with Cyberduck and then re-upload the whole of your site fresh to see if that makes any difference.

Unfortunately, iWeb is only going to get less and less compatible with no workarounds in the end, so perhaps you would be better to ditch iWeb now and move to another application before it gets too late.

Trying to upload my saved website, built in IWeb to server but not showing changes made after publish. Called server, all working on their end. Saved again, turned IWeb off and on again, changes made still there, just won't publish. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.