Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing OSX Yosemite onto fresh HDD

Hi My Mom's hard drive crashed and so I bought her a new one and installed it. Now i cant figure out how to get OSX Yosemite back onto the new hard drive. I boot up the Macbook pro and I dont know where to go from here. all of the Youtube videos seem to be outdated. the one I watched had a solution but i can't get the osx Yosemite boot program to work on the flash drive using terminal. any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), may be effecting my apple tv

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 6:03 PM

17 replies

Nov 17, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Bench423

An early 2011 MBP came with Snow Leopard install disks.

Insert the disk and after the language selection, the display should have a menu bar on top,

Click on Utilities and select Disk utility from the drop down menu.

Run Disk Utility>Erase and format the new disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Exit Disk Utility and completer the installation of Snow Leopard.

Then install the Snow Leopard combo update:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_US

That meets the requirements for Yosemite installation.

Open the App store account and Yosemite should be in it.

Install Yosemite over snow Leopard.

Ciao.

Nov 17, 2015 1:42 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I also have gotten it to boot up to the OS X utilities start up using a USB Drive. I go to disk utility and erase the disk I name it Macintosh HD with the format OS X Extended (journaled). It does that just fine. I go back and click on reinstall OS X. I click Continue, a drop down comes up and say your computer's eligibility will be verified with apple. I click continue. then pretty immediately it pops up with "An error occurred while preparing the installation. try running this application again. I click ok and it brings me back to Disk Utility. This is frustrating.

installing OSX Yosemite onto fresh HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.