Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2015 WiFi fails when USB hub connected

Hi All,

So after MUCH frustration caused by my brand new MacBook Pro 13 Retina (2015 model) not being able to connect to ANY Wi-Fi networks, I finally found the 'issue'.

A Transcend USB Hub.

That's right. To try to circumvent the horrid lack of USB ports on the Mac, I used a 4 port USB3 hub which I've used on many other PC's around the home. However, as soon as the hub is connected to the MAC, the Wi-Fi fails to connect to any network. As soon as I disconnect, it connects immediately.

Now to check that the USB hub wasn't doing something horrid, I plugged it into a few other PC laptops around the home and did the same Wi-Fi check - they worked fine.

So why on earth is the Mac Wi-Fi failing when I connect this device to the USB port?

Is this hardware failure, or a known issue?

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 4:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 5:16 AM

OK, so I've discovered something interesting!

I believe it is a design fault relating to the MacBook pro. Possibly an earthing issue with the unibody chassis.

If I insert a USB3 hub into the USB port, Wi-Fi fails.

HOWEVER - if I wiggle plug out of the port just 1mm so that it still connects and operates correctly, but isn't fully inserted into the port, Wi-Fi works again!

Strange?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2015 5:16 AM in response to higherdestiny

OK, so I've discovered something interesting!

I believe it is a design fault relating to the MacBook pro. Possibly an earthing issue with the unibody chassis.

If I insert a USB3 hub into the USB port, Wi-Fi fails.

HOWEVER - if I wiggle plug out of the port just 1mm so that it still connects and operates correctly, but isn't fully inserted into the port, Wi-Fi works again!

Strange?

Nov 14, 2015 12:53 PM in response to kaz-k

Thanks Kaz-k, however the Apple FAQ is incorrect. They blame interference from the device itself - which is only partly true. The full cause seems to be interference being transmitted through the chassis.

All USB3 device cause interfering frequencies - but it's only on the unibody mac that it prevents connectivity - and as per my video, pulling the USB connector out by 1mm prevents the issue.

So it's clearly not purely the device itself - but the design of the power in the MacBook.

Also, I'm running Yosemite, by the way 🙂

Macbook Pro 2015 WiFi fails when USB hub connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.