Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want my iPhoto back. I hater the new photo app from El Capitan and want it back to the way it was without losing everything I did and saved in my computer after the upgrade, how can i do this?

I want my iPhoto back. I hater the new photo app from El Capitain and want it back to the way it was without losing everything I did and saved in my computer after the upgrade, how can i do this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010)

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 11:11 PM

If your iPhoto is up-to-date then launch it and use it. If it's not, update it and use it.

21 replies

Nov 13, 2015 11:44 PM in response to CanyonRoot

Okay then. I'll just point out that what I have posted is accurate and true, and I've posted variations on this - literally - hundreds if times on the forum since Photos was released. It has worked. And, in that it answers the original question (how to get iPhoto back), I'm not clear what your issue is. Do you have questions on the modalities?Or just comprehension issues?

Nov 14, 2015 4:29 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you CanyonRoot for not making my question an absurd. Terence Devlin, I fout it was of common knowledge the fact that once you upgrade to El Capitan the iPhoto app stays "blocked" for use. I wasnt the first one to complain about it here on the forum but other people just wanted to know how to get heed of the unworking app as for me I want to get it back. If using it was as simple as click on it I wouldnt be here. So my question is: My iPhoto app appears with a cross in my applications, when I click on it it asks for an update, then when I go to itunes its says that there are no updates avaiable! Hence I cant use my iPhoto and I cant update it!!! ! !

I hope you can help me.

Nov 14, 2015 5:41 AM in response to marimmattos

Your question was not absurd at all. Plenty of people post on here not realising that it is possible to continue using iPhoto. Hence my first answer.

Once you upgrade to El Capitan iPhoto is not "blocked", unless you have an out-of-date version. That's common knowledge too.

Then guessing that you might need to update it, I pointed out that this was possible. Again, lots of people have been saying that it is not possible to update. This is quite untrue. The instructions for doing that have been posted here hundreds of times too.

If you have an iPhoto 11 already registered with the App Store:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

That said, if you don't have iPhoto 11 then you'll need to revert to your easier OS.

Nov 14, 2015 9:56 AM in response to marimmattos

I totally agree with you. I've been patient and tried for months and months to get something useable out of it without success. I've now managed to get to a point (after 4 months and around 150 hours of trying) to be able to view my photos and get them uploaded onto the cloud. However unfortunately in the mess that was the migration some time ago the software has managed to totally balls up virtually every single date on the photos and won't allow you to manage them in the folders in the same way as you did with iphoto (which was a beautifully simple and effective software management program for photos). So I feel you pain buddy and can't ever see why the Apple Evangelists tend to lose their rag with simple ordinary folk who don't spend much of their time trying to keep up to speed with modern programming and technology. I'd imagine there are thousands of others like me who were initially interested in using Apple equipment precisely because you didn't have to be some kind of technical expert to be able to bloody well upload and look at your photos.

Nov 14, 2015 11:19 AM in response to rhubarbcrum

There are no evangelists here, believe me, I could form a much more coherent analysis of the new Photos app than you will that would be even more unflattering. But that doesn't matter. The problem with your post is that there is nothing anyone can do to help you because you don't give anyone anything to work with. Maybe that's why you've spent 150 hours of trying...

Nov 16, 2015 5:02 AM in response to marimmattos

So I finally could make my iPhoto work again and recovered all my photos. I could not find the application on the purchased list and it also wasn't hiden. So I had to desinstal the El Capitan and return to my previous version wich I don't know which one it is.. My first question is that, how can I make sure which OS is running in my mac now? When I click on "About this Mac" it shows me I am running the OS X 10.9.5 (13F1134), I don't know what it means...

My other questions are still related to iphotos, as even afther all I did the iPhoto app still doesn't appear as purchased. The app I am running is the version 8.1.2, how can I update it in order to get the last version of it so I can aftherwards continue uploading the OS without losing everything again?

What happend was that my mac stayed more than a year out of work for technical problems and now everything must be updated and somethings I just cant find the way to update!..

Nov 16, 2015 5:31 AM in response to marimmattos

10.9.5 is Mavericks.

You cannot update your iPhoto any further. As you have iPhoto 09 (that's v8.1.2) the only way to get to iPhoto 11, which is what's required from El Capitan, is to purchase it. However, Apple no longer make or sell iPhoto in any form. Instead you would need to use Photos.app which comes free with El Capitan, or any other app you prefer.

I want my iPhoto back. I hater the new photo app from El Capitan and want it back to the way it was without losing everything I did and saved in my computer after the upgrade, how can i do this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.