Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes track numbers now limited to 3 digits?

I just noticed that when I alter any of the info for a song in iTunes, iTunes throws out the track number if it has four digits. For instance, if a track number is 1,234 iTunes changes that number to 1.

I realize this is unusual... I happen to have some language lessons I've subscribed to for years so the track numbers are up into the 2,000s.

Can anybody confirm that iTunes 12 only supports three places/digits in the track number field?

I'm using iTunes 12.3.1.23 on OS 10.10.5 Yosemite.

thanks

Paul

Posted on Nov 13, 2015 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 7:00 AM

Paul Duke1 wrote:

I just noticed that when I alter any of the info for a song in iTunes, iTunes throws out the track number if it has four digits. For instance, if a track number is 1,234 iTunes changes that number to 1.

I realize this is unusual... I happen to have some language lessons I've subscribed to for years so the track numbers are up into the 2,000s.

Can anybody confirm that iTunes 12 only supports three places/digits in the track number field?

thanks

Paul

Paul,

I tried it on my machine, running iTunes 12.3.0, and indeed the Track field is limited to 3 digits.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2015 7:00 AM in response to Paul Duke1

Paul Duke1 wrote:

thanks

Paul

Paul,

I tried it on my machine, running iTunes 12.3.0, and indeed the Track field is limited to 3 digits.

Nov 15, 2015 7:04 AM in response to Limnos

Maybe what's new is that as of sometime this summer, when I alter any field anywhere in Get Info, iTunes throws out the original 4 digit track number and replaces it with only the first digit of that 4 digit number (ie, iTunes does this even if I have done nothing to the track number field). Up until around July it seems, iTunes didn't have that behavior. It maintained the original 4 digit track number when I altered other fields.

(Just to be super clear... in the one case where I care about this, I am downloading language lessons from a website. The creator of the lessons is entering the original 4 digit track number. It would be more convenient for me, especially after all these years and thousands of lessons downloaded, if iTunes maintained that number, as it did in the past, rather than changing it from 4 digits to 1 digit. Oh well, Apple likes to change stuff just for the sake of changing it...)

Jan 6, 2016 2:35 PM in response to Paul Duke1

Hi Paul,

I can confirm that modifying other track details will truncate track number to a single digit.

This even happens when you opening the details box and clicking the arrow in the bottom corner to cycle through tracks without making any changes!

I can also confirm that while previous versions were limited to typing 3 digit track numbers in the box, they would leave a previously entered4 digit track number alone when cycling through tracks.

I'm running OS X 10.10.5 and iTunes 12.3.2.35

May 1, 2016 6:26 PM in response to Paul Duke1

I'm having the same issue with 4-digit track numbers being truncated. Like you, I've got lots of language lessons with track numbers well up into the 2000s - those numbers were attached to the downloaded podcasts (ChinesePod for you too?). Those numbers are important for filing. But unfortunately, whenever I change any other tag, the track number is reset - I guess only the first digit is kept, and the others are scrapped. iTunes then doesn't let you re-enter the original 4-digit track number. I believe it never has let you enter one directly, although it's accepted them if that's the way the track came.

Even undoing what you just did doesn't fix the damage - it undoes whatever other change you made most recently, but the track number change doesn't revert.

To repair the damage: Doug's Apple Scripts can work: "Put Track Prefix to Track Number" and, if I recall correctly, "Increment Number Tags" can also do it.

However, I wish the reset wouldn't happen in the first place. I've got most of these lessons with Media Kind = Audiobook (because iTunes has a bad habit of occasionally deleting old podcasts). And I've got them in playlists with repetition, but Apple broke those options for iOS devices when they moved all audiobook files to iBooks. So now I'd like to rename those language lessons as Media Kind = Music, but if I do that, I'll lose all the track numbers, which will really mess up the sorting. Doug's Apple Scripts can repair damage to a couple of tracks, but if you're repairing hundreds or thousands, it'll take forever.

May 1, 2016 7:20 PM in response to Paul Duke1

Your original recollection was correct. There was a brief period of time when four-digit track numbers were indeed supported, but have now regressed to just three digits. I remember this distinctly, because I reported it as a bug, and was glad to see Apple addressed it. In my case, the four-digit track numbers were significant for Podcasts, because many of them use the track field for episode numbers.

Not only did Apple take away the four-digit field, but also totally wreck what's left of the numbers by making them all number one.

Time to file again.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Sep 14, 2016 11:58 PM in response to Rysz

It looks like the bugs related to this have been fixed in iTunes 12.5.1. Now, if I make other edits to a file with a 4-digit track number, the track number remains unchanged. I believe you still can't make a 4-digit track number - that's limited to three digits - but at least iTunes no longer throws out already existing 4-digit track numbers when you're editing something else.

iTunes track numbers now limited to 3 digits?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.