Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I add chapters in i-movie 10.1?

I don't see any option for adding chapters in i-movie 10.1 as there was in prior versions. How can I add chapters so I don't have an hour long movie with no ability to go to particular sections?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2015 4:05 PM

This is no longer possible in iMovie 10. Apple does not appear to believe that anyone wants to burn DVDs any more (though this is contradicted by the fact that it is still available in FCP X).

Geoff.

4 replies

Nov 29, 2015 10:51 PM in response to alnote

I don't see any option for adding chapters in i-movie 10.1 as there was in prior versions. How can I add chapters so I don't have an hour long movie with no ability to go to particular sections?

Apple removed the ability to create chapters starting with iMovie 10. Chapters are used with DVDs, Blu-ray's, and podcasts. I do my movie editing with previous versions of iMovie, (iMovie HD 06 and iMovie 11) or other movie editing programs. To my knowledge, the new iMovie is the ONLY movie editing program that cannot create chapters.

iDVD automatically recognizes the chapters set by earlier versions of iMovie. However, you can set chapters using, "toast", and continue using your current version of iMovie but that is not a workflow I follow.

Recommend that you use the link below and ask Apple to bring the chapter feature back. You will not receive a reply, but I know for a fact each one of these are read by Apple people.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/imovie.html

Nov 29, 2015 10:53 PM in response to GeeD

Apple does not appear to believe that anyone wants to burn DVDs any more (though this is contradicted by the fact that it is still available in FCP X).

You're right. I'm involved with the movie industry and physical media is still the number one method by which movies are sold.

Also, the Mac OS is fully capable of burning DVDs and Blu-ray's using Disk Utility.

Jan 3, 2016 1:16 PM in response to alnote

It IS possible to actually have Chapters in iMovie in the Project of what you are doing!

It's just a case of:

• Right-Click Mouse Button.

• Click “Add Chapter Marker”.

If you are going to be using iDVD to make your video better, they will / can appear on iDVD depending on how you desing your project.

As far as I know, iMovie HD & iMovie have always had the Chapter thing from day one! I just think that probably people are looking in the wrong places like among the Menu Options than just clicking on the Project itself.

It also may be under Preferences with "Show Advanced Tools" for those who may be experiencing problems.

I hope this has answered your question.

Sincerely yours,

Christopher John Knowles.

how do I add chapters in i-movie 10.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.