Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro lower RH side gets warm to touch and battery usage increases

Hi All -

Enjoying my new iPad Pro, but notice that when using Notability for a while and writing notes with the Apple Pencil that the lower right side of the iPad gets warm to the touch on the screen side (and less on the back side), and the battery usage seems to spike. The iFixit teardown seems to indicate 4 batteries in the iPad (or 2 tall ones) that are distributed equally, so if it was equally using the batteries not sure why one side of the unit would get warm and the other wouldn't. Battery usage seems to dramatically increase when I'm doing this. Web browsing and other non-Pencil activities do not create the warmth in the unit or spike the battery usage... any thoughts?

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 6:03 AM

9 replies

Nov 14, 2015 6:40 AM in response to mn312

A quick follow-up - more testing reveals that the entire right edge of the iPad pro gets warm to the touch when writing with the Apple Pencil, with the warmest spots essentially being under the right side bezel (when held in portrait mode). If I start taking notes w/Apple pencil, the battery drain seems to be about 1% for each 2-3 minutes of writing. Other applications such as Penultimate also cause the heat issue, so I expect it's the use of the Apple Pencil that is causing this vs the app itself.

iPad Pro lower RH side gets warm to touch and battery usage increases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.