Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro freezing after entering password

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) Running El Capitan 10.11.1

I have four user accounts. I logged on normally into my main account and did some work. Walked away for an hour and when I returned, it was back at the login enter password screen (it had never done this before). When I entered my password, the small spoke appeared and spun for about two seconds and then froze on screen. Shortly after that the spinning beach ball also appeared and just kept spinning and spinning. I had to force quit by pressing the power button and have tried two or three more attempts to log on with the same results and no success. I can log in on the other three accounts with no problem. One of the other three is also an admin account, so I tried changing my password on the freezing account with no luck, same result.

Any ideas, Thanks.

I am new to the Apple Support Community.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 10:06 AM

2 replies

Nov 14, 2015 1:08 PM in response to mthl44

Please take these steps while logged in as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

Nov 27, 2015 2:38 PM in response to Linc Davis

Following your instructions only got me so far before I felt it was more than I felt I was able to handle with my experience. I ended up bringing it to a Mac approved repair store and they fixed it up. Thanks for the help in any case. I do like to try dabbling and seeing if I can do things myself or with others help. This just went beyond my capabilities.

Thanks again

Macbook pro freezing after entering password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.