Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to publish/print a physical book with file created in iBooks author

I am nearly finished with a book in iBooks Author. I want to also print a physical book. (Yes, I know it won't have the widgets, but this is an unusual case.) The aspect ratio doesn't seem to fit any standards. Has anyone done it? How can I get this done?

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 1:50 PM

I think you will have to modify the book so that exportation to pdf produces the correct result for printing.

3 replies

Nov 15, 2015 11:55 AM in response to karenfromstamford

my last print book was right before the advent of the iPad. someday i hope to go in the reverse direction that you are headed and make an ibook of it. it would be all but impossible to affordably have a print version of the books i have recently been doing, not withstanding technically impossible. i have said goodbye to print. print books are going to be as rare as vinyl records, slide rules and the dinosaur, perhaps not in my lifetime but maybe in the lifetime of the young ones. but i recognize that there are cases to the contrary at this particular point.

first, be forewarned that over seven years have passed since i have done this and i speak not from recent experience. that does not mean that i am not giving you the best advice.

i have no idea of the complexity of your book, how large it is and whether there are intermingled graphics on the same pages as text. but if a convert to pdf does not work for you (which presumily is designed to give you a what you see is what you get copy), you should do the following:

1. you must get the book into pdf format, as that is likely the only one acceptable to book printers. again, technology might have changed since i last did this, but it is likely the only way that you can pretty much guarantee that the printed result will match what you give to the printer. perhaps you have someone already lined up, but if not i can point you into some direction.

2. decide on a book size. this might likely require that you decide on who will print your book. many of them have requirements for the dimensions of the book. this will establish the dimensions of your pages.

3. decide on a authoring program. you can certainly use iba, but it may or may not be the best choice for you. i happened to use a program called ready set go which by the way was one of the original mac desktop publishing software packages. it, the mac and the apple laserwriter plus (i still have mine in the basement and my lips are sealed as to how much i paid for it). rsg was sold by manhattan graphics and the new owners lost interest in the mac version. but you have a wide choice, such as pages, iba and other third party products. you might likely use iba since your book is in the format. i don't know if you wrote your book directly into iba or used something else first.

4. whatever you choose, you will need to start afresh with a blank book of the correct page size. use your iba ebook as the source and format into the blank book your text, graphics, etc and produce a book whose pdf image is what you want. it should be a wysiwyg image after the pdf conversion. yes, it is a lot of formatting and copy and pasting. the bright side is the original creation of your gem of a book does not need to be done again, and that is likely what you spent the most brain power getting done. this reengineering of the format is just crank out work, even if tedious. but i know of no magic spell that i could perform on your existing book to do automatically what you want done.

the above i believe is what tom said in twenty words, but from your reply you needed a bit more direction to get started.

good luck on your book. i hope karenfromstamford has a ny times best seller.

how to publish/print a physical book with file created in iBooks author

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.