Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"No images available" after BCA reboots into Windows 10 installer

I'm having trouble getting Windows 10 installed through Bootcamp. I purchased Windows 10 Home from Microsoft this morning and fired up the Bootcamp Assistant.

The Bootcamp Assistant automatically detects the Win10_1511_SingleLang_English_x64.iso file that I have in ~/Downloads. It allows me to partition my drive accordingly and, I assume, copies the data from the ISO to the new partition so it can install. This works fine; I only run into a problem after the system reboots.

The Windows installer starts as expected. However, after entering my product key, I'm greeted with a window that asks which Windows image I would like to install from; however, the dialog box only has one entry: "No images available".

I have also copied the ISO files onto a bootable USB drive; however, this image also is undetected by the installer. It almost seems like I'm entering an incorrect or mismatching product key, but I'm copying it directly from the Windows 10 order email.

The frustrating bit is that there is no way to exit this dialog without restarting the machine. Upon restart, I have to go back into OS X, back into BCA, and re-do the entire partitioning process again. It takes about 15-20 minutes to do this entire process, only to fail every time.

Extremely disappointed with Apple here.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), Windows 10

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 3:54 PM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2015 4:31 PM in response to rgantt

rgantt wrote:

The Bootcamp Assistant automatically detects the Win10_1511_SingleLang_English_x64.iso file that I have in ~/Downloads. It allows me to partition my drive accordingly and, I assume, copies the data from the ISO to the new partition so it can install. This works fine; I only run into a problem after the system reboots.

1. No, it creates a separate temporary partition called OSXRESERVED (you do not have a USB attached to the Mac when this is happening, correct?).

2. Copies the contents of the ISO (I suggest you move it out of downloads and not have it open).

3. Boots from the OSXRESERVED partition to start the installer.

The Windows installer starts as expected. However, after entering my product key, I'm greeted with a window that asks which Windows image I would like to install from; however, the dialog box only has one entry: "No images available".

I have also copied the ISO files onto a bootable USB drive; however, this image also is undetected by the installer. It almost seems like I'm entering an incorrect or mismatching product key, but I'm copying it directly from the Windows 10 order email.

This is a clear indication that the downloaded ISO was corrupted during the download process. M$ refuses to provide a MD5/SHA1 for the ISO you download, which means a user has no way of detecting a corrupted download. Please try and download https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home directly to your Mac and chat with M$ and ask them how you can verify the authenticity and integrity of the downloaded ISO. Please post back their answer, if you can get one. 😉. The error message indicates that you have a corrupted Windows Image.

See the previous comment. If the iSO is corrupted, the USB copy is also corrupted.

The frustrating bit is that there is no way to exit this dialog without restarting the machine. Upon restart, I have to go back into OS X, back into BCA, and re-do the entire partitioning process again. It takes about 15-20 minutes to do this entire process, only to fail every time.

Extremely disappointed with Apple here.

See both previous comment. This should be laid at the door of Satya Nadella and M$, who need to provide a better service. 😉

Nov 14, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Loner T

I downloaded the ISO twice--both times from the download page you linked--and each had the same MD5 hash, which I think rules out a corruption during transfer.

When does this OSXRESERVED partition get blown away? Can I just restart with a bootable Windows 10 USB and install it directly to the BOOTCAMP partition?

Nov 15, 2015 4:57 PM in response to Loner T

Yep, my checksum matches yours:

MD5 (Win10_1511_English_x64.iso) = a0d4271b7537732a060909fd39d54829

So account-specific information must not get embedded into the binary (for now).

FFR, I got this working and wanted to close the loop for anyone else who runs into this problem (the BCA documentation is over-simple): only the straight-up "Windows 10" ISO works for BCA. The "Single Language" ISO definitely DOES NOT work. BCA will allow you to install it, but the Windows 10 setup will not recognize it as a valid image.

I also ran into an issue with BCA not wanting to accept the Win10_1511_English_x64.iso image as a valid input--which is why I hesitated to try it again--but I'm having trouble reproducing that now, so maybe it was a PEBKAC.

P.S. Thanks for your help, Loner T.

"No images available" after BCA reboots into Windows 10 installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.