Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Image Capture freezes, iPhone disconnects

Connecting iPhone to Mac and open Image Capture to import photos/videos, then do bulk delete.

Image Capture only loads a few of the photos' thumbnails, then stops loading. I select a few of the loaded ones to import or delete, it freezes, then the iPhone gets disconnected and Image Capture shows no device.

Any ideas on what might be happening?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), SSD, Optical Drive swapped for HD

Posted on Nov 14, 2015 11:48 PM

9 replies

Nov 15, 2015 10:51 AM in response to JDfunky

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Nov 15, 2015 11:47 AM in response to JDfunky

Image Capture preferences may be corrupted.

Disconnect the iPhone.

On your Mac open the Finder. From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following;

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Image_Capture.plist

Click Go then move the com.apple.Image_Capture.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac. Restart your iPhone then try again.

Nov 15, 2015 11:53 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, thanks for your suggestion, tried the first part of suggestion, the issue still occurs in the other user account.

I have realised that the image that "sticks" Image Capture is a TIF. The other JPGs load ok in the view window, the TIF stays grey, then is sits there for a while and eventually the phone disconnects.

Will try the Safe Boot suggestion next.

Nov 15, 2015 11:52 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks Carolyn for your suggestion. I tried it but it didn't help.

This time instead of Image Capture just disconnecting the phone, it actually crashed.

Process: Image Capture [459]

Path: /Applications/Image Capture.app/Contents/MacOS/Image Capture

Identifier: com.apple.Image_Capture

Version: 6.6 (525)

Build Info: ImageCapture-525000000000000~16

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: Image Capture [459]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2015-11-16 17:27:21.089 +1030

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)

Report Version: 11

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSRangeException', reason: 'Cannot remove an observer <IKICScrollView 0x6000001d5270> for the key path "contentLayoutRect" from <NSWindow 0x6100001fd800> because it is not registered as an observer.'

terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException

abort() called

Nov 24, 2015 3:42 AM in response to JDfunky

I managed to get the images off the iPhone by using the 3rd party PhoneView app on my Mac. I then deleted the movies/photos manually on my iPhone. New photos taken with the iPhone camera app are now fine, able to be read and exported by Image Capture.

The problem now arises only if there are TIFF images on my iPhone (taken by the ProCamera app which enables these if selected.)

Nov 24, 2015 3:16 PM in response to JDfunky

Further update: I contacted ProCamera app support, and got this response, FYI:

There is an issue with importing photos in TIFF format to a computer that arose with iOS 9. We are sorry about the inconvenience.
Our developers are communicating this issue about TIFF file transfer to a computer to Apple,
and continue to pursue the matter. Thank you very much for your input.

One of our users reported a workaround as follows that worked for him. In case you have not done so yet, you might want to try it:
to import TIFF photos to Image Capture, take 6 or more photos in JPEG format and sort them so that they are on top of the list before your TIFF photos. Image capture will not try to get the thumbnails, except for the first 6 pictures which are JPEG’s, and in his case was able to import.

Hoping this information is helpful.

Best,
Eva
ProCamera Support

Image Capture freezes, iPhone disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.