Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

magic mouse wont connect

Out of the blue my magic mouse wont connect in bluetooth.

Bluetooth finds it, but it wont pair even though I try manual pairing with the connect-code.

My OS: Yosemite, Imac 27" 2011.

I read about deleting com.Apple.Bluetooth.plist in Library/preferences, but it isnt named like that on my imac...

Also read about reseting Pram, but how tot do this on an imac?

It is most vexing :-(

What to do to solve this mouse problem?

Please some help anyone ^^

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), imac 27"from 2011

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2015 10:49 AM

I had problems getting my Magic Mouse 2 to sync with my MacBook Air Mid 2011 and found that the trick for getting the mouse to resync to my Mac was to make sure your lightning cable is connected to your Mac (not your iPhone wall charger) and connected to the underbelly of the Magic Mouse 2 (the unassuming unmarked connector port below the designed by Apple and no trash disposal symbol.

Once I did this my Mac immediately recognized and paired to the Magic Mouse. This is completely different than how most other bluetooth devices are synced on the Mac using bluetooth discovery mode. It'll be interesting to see how to setup this mouse with Boot Camp and Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I'm guessing they still need to iron out a few issues and support the older bluetooth pairing mode or write lightning to USB drivers.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2015 10:49 AM in response to Jelle Schilstra

I had problems getting my Magic Mouse 2 to sync with my MacBook Air Mid 2011 and found that the trick for getting the mouse to resync to my Mac was to make sure your lightning cable is connected to your Mac (not your iPhone wall charger) and connected to the underbelly of the Magic Mouse 2 (the unassuming unmarked connector port below the designed by Apple and no trash disposal symbol.

Once I did this my Mac immediately recognized and paired to the Magic Mouse. This is completely different than how most other bluetooth devices are synced on the Mac using bluetooth discovery mode. It'll be interesting to see how to setup this mouse with Boot Camp and Windows 10 and Ubuntu. I'm guessing they still need to iron out a few issues and support the older bluetooth pairing mode or write lightning to USB drivers.

Nov 16, 2015 2:22 PM in response to Jelle Schilstra

Hmmm.... How does it connect to another Mac?

Some random things to try:

- Swap out batteries, especially if they are old rechargeable ones. Make sure your BlueTooth icon in the menu bar reports that they are >90% charged.

- Toggle off WiFi and report if your BlueTooth connection is more stable (weird, but others have reported issues in latest OS X release)

- If the problem is intermittent take some paper, fold it and wedge it between the batteries in the mouse. Some batteries are shorter than the Apple branded rechargeable ones so the electrical connection can get broken resulting in a lost mouse connection.

- Verify on another Mac or on your Mac running Boot Camp windows that the mouse is working fine. If it isn't then the problem is most likely with the mouse.

- Try adding a USB BlueTooth adapter (make sure it is Mac compatible) and see if the problem is with your Mac's BlueTooth internal adapter (sometimes it is the chip and other times it is interference from an electrical source like WiFi, big screen TV, etc).

Best of luck!

Nov 17, 2015 12:22 AM in response to Jelle Schilstra

As far as I can see, at no point do you say this is a new Magic Mouse 2. Had you done so, then the suggestion that it only works with El Capitan 10.11.1 would be correct. So assuming it is not MM2 here is how to re-set the PRAM and / or the SMC. You may have to follow both or either procedure more than once.

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

The detail on resetting the SMC is via a link towards the bottom of the document.

Nov 23, 2015 11:49 AM in response to seventy one

Thank you all for your replies.

I have tried to delete com.apple.bluetooth.plist + resetting Nvram

But none of the above worked.

My mac sees the MM1 and other bluetooth devices, it connects but disconnects seconds afterwards and even connecting with the code wont help.

Is there anything else I could try before I send my Imac for repairs?

magic mouse wont connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.