Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server HTTP is only available on local network

I have OS X Server 5.0.15 and I am currently trying to load the website in HTTP, but the HTTP section is only available on your local network but I wants it to be reachable over the internet. SSL works fine, that one is reachable over the internet. Any help will be appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 6:48 AM

9 replies

Nov 15, 2015 8:16 AM in response to Tom Shen

If HTTPS TCP port 443 is reachable remotely but HTTP TCP port 80 is not, then this is either the local firewall or the ISP filtering TCP port 80 HTTP traffic, or the port-forwarding rules are missing or mis-configured, or maybe remote service access to HTTP TCP port 80 is blocked on the local server.

Some ISPs can block server-oriented ports on their dynamic (residential) tier of service connections.

Run a traceroute, and see where the connection ends?

Nov 15, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Tom Shen

That's a dynamic DNS provider, and that (exceptionally short, and the very fast times) IP traceroute shown is getting the same address repeatedly — that implies a loop exists in the forwarding or somewhere in the local routing configuration. Try a traceroute from where you're also trying the remote HTTP and HTTPS testing. Then check with your ISP, and see if they have policies against HTTP — use of dynamic DNS implies that the public IP address of the target server might be a dynamic IP address.

Nov 20, 2015 5:40 AM in response to Tom Shen

Tom Shen wrote:

Here I did a trace route without the dynamic IP Address:

traceroute to 192.168.0.112 (192.168.0.112), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets

1 localhost (192.168.0.112) 6.946 ms 4.603 ms 4.593 ms

An IP host accessing itself is not (usually) subject to a firewall. It's traversing inward from the public internet via the ISP network that's possibly problematic or is being blocked here, from what I can understand of this situation.

I'm getting a completely different IP address translation of the DDNS domain mentioned earlier, too. I don't know why that is.

Nov 20, 2015 6:14 AM in response to Tom Shen

I'd expect to see different IP addresses in the list, and a longer trace — it does not appear that the traceroute is being checked remotely.

Dynamic addresses and servers don't mix very well. Some stuff will work, other stuff either won't work or will require setting up relays.

I'll assume that there is an external firewall box here that's dealing with the dynamic addresses, and that port forwarding is enabled. Check the port forwarding for TCP port 80, if you've not already done so.

Also check with your ISP, and ask if they even allow HTTP connections on dynamic addresses. Some don't. Some ISPs will firewall server-oriented connections.

Nov 26, 2015 9:28 AM in response to Tom Shen

AFAIK, No-IP is not your Internet Service Provider. The No-IP folks are a Dynamic DNS (DDNS) provider for folks that have dynamic IP addresses from some other Internet Service Provider.

Dynamic DNS is useful for reaching some services remotely, such as establishing an ssh or VPN connection into some client-oriented computer systems. Dynamic DNS doesn't work all that well with some server-oriented protocols, and it's also a source of confusion for setting up local DNS — local DNS is necessary for OS X Server, and dynamic DNS doesn't work for that.

When it comes to running servers, there are unfortunately some differences between using static IP and dynamic IP — in this case, the firewall is probably with whoever is providing your IP address; with your ISP.

Check your ISP FAQ or contact your ISP directly for information on whether they are blocking server-oriented protocols such as HTTP TCP port 80. Based on one of the IP addresses shown, your ISP appears to be China Unicom.

OS X Server HTTP is only available on local network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.