Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Restore Makes Me Login to every App!!!

Am I missing something with iCloud? I have my phone backup regularly. I just got a new 6s Plus. Right before I got it, I made sure to do a manual backup to iCloud just to make sure I had everything. Got the new phone and went through the restore process. No errors or problems. Pictures, apps, icon locations, etc. all downloaded just as I had it.

The problem...

Every app that requires you to signing (facebook, twitter, pinterest, etc.) is asking for my username/password when I open it. I've got tons of these! It's a major major pain.

Is this typical? Is it supposed to work like this or should that login session data be restored with each app?

Don't know if it matters, but yes I use iCloud keychain as well and had it fully synced on my old phone and enabled it on the new phone when prompted.

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2017 5:59 AM

Have you been able to resolve this? I have the same problem.

This is incredibly frustrating. It will take me hours and hours to relogin into all apps, reset my Apple Watch, reconnect all my bluetooth devices, and reset tons of passwords that I have never stored in my password manager, reconfigure my widgets etc etc etc etc

Super super annoying.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2017 5:59 AM in response to jbhardman

Have you been able to resolve this? I have the same problem.

This is incredibly frustrating. It will take me hours and hours to relogin into all apps, reset my Apple Watch, reconnect all my bluetooth devices, and reset tons of passwords that I have never stored in my password manager, reconfigure my widgets etc etc etc etc

Super super annoying.

Dec 1, 2015 8:00 AM in response to jbhardman

Ideally that is not wanted behaviour, but seeing how everyone's accounts are compromised lately, Facebook perhaps increased their security and when they see new device connecting they trigger as security measure - password entering.

Keychain will take care of wifi, credit cards and safari passwords, but as far as I know is not restoring in App passwords.

Dec 1, 2015 10:35 AM in response to jbhardman

When you backed up the iPhone, did you choose to backup all passwords? When next you're doing a backup, you'll notice in iTunes - Automatically Backup - iCloud or This Computer and under this option, you'll see Encrypt iPhone backup. If you choose that option, you wouldn't have to enter all of your passwords into all of your apps.

Dec 1, 2015 6:06 PM in response to zinacef

1. According to that article below icloud backup is encrypted by default that would point us to even mentioning itunes backup here is not needed, fact that is icloud on ios device thread here is kind of beyond the point.

About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

iCloud

• Stores backups in the cloud
  • Offers up to 1TB of storage (your first 5GB are free)
  • Always encrypts your backups
  • Lets you make and use backups from anywhere with Wi-Fi

iTunes

• Stores backups on your Mac or PC
  • Storage depends on your Mac or PC's available space
  • Offers encrypted backups (off by default)
  • Lets you make and use backups from your Mac or PC

2. According to the same article

"Activity, Health, and Keychain data (To back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)"

So logically If keychain contained in app passwords, restore from backup wouldn't be needed or depended upon, activation of keychain would take care of saving passwords by itself. But it didn't.

Now according to that article below some of the apps passwords can be supported by icloud keychain, but we still do not know if Facebook, pinterest and twitter have that ability. So if you have any info about those apps keychain support, surely OP and me would appreciate you sharing it with us.

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Yes. Developers can update their apps to work with iCloud Keychain. Passwords saved by those apps are kept up to date on all devices that use the app and are using iOS 7.0.3 or later or OS X Mavericks v10.9 or later.

Dec 2, 2015 11:37 AM in response to fromsouth

Yes, I know that I can encrypt the iTunes backup and have all of that info restored, but what then is the point of the iCloud backups? My hope was I would not have to sync to my computer and backup locally. The photos, texts messages, app icon locations, etc were all restored. But all apps that have "in-app" authentication asked me to log back in. I already did it, but I'm wondering for future case... is something wrong with my iCloud backups? Should these apps restore their authentication keys/tokens from iCloud like they would through an encrypted iTunes backup?

Dec 2, 2015 1:43 PM in response to fromsouth

fromsouth wrote:

My post about itunes backups was not intended for you, but for zinacef, who offered that option to you and I believe didn't understand complete encryption of icloud backup. My first response was intended for you and didn't change. Despite the transfer of the token, Facebook server still wanted to verify your password.

My post above was only a suggestion based on my own personal experiences, i.e. when I backed my iPhone using the iCloud option via iTunes, I noticed I had to re-enter the passwords for all/most of my apps on the phone; however, when I backed it up opting for the option To My Computer and Encrypt Passwords (via iTunes) I noticed I didn't have to re-enter the passwords to my apps. As I mentioned, merely an observation....

Dec 2, 2015 5:21 PM in response to zinacef

Our experiences are the most important part of our existence, so lets verify if your experience is helpful. Did you restore your itunes backup to the same device with same Unique identifier that would already be in the memory of the servers of third party apps or to new device that has different device identifier?

That is actually curious for me as well - was always wondering why itunes backup contains voicemail token (not encrypted) and icloud backup contains voicemail password and how big of the difference between those.

Dec 3, 2015 8:04 AM in response to fromsouth

fromsouth wrote:

Our experiences are the most important part of our existence, so lets verify if your experience is helpful. Did you restore your itunes backup to the same device with same Unique identifier that would already be in the memory of the servers of third party apps or to new device that has different device identifier?

Yes, same device - an iPhone 6S.

iCloud Restore Makes Me Login to every App!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.