Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ext hdd causes UserEventAgent to use 100% CPU, making fan noise

Hi,

My MBP recently is having very loud fan noise even without any programs running.

Found out later that UserEventAgent is using 100% CPU and it happens only when I connect to a 2TB WD external hdd which I've been using it for at least 2.5years. I'm not sure why it causes the CPU to run 100% whenever I plug in now.

Tried SMC and PRAM reset,

also repaired internal and external hdd.

no luck so far.

System:

15-inch, Late 2011 MBP

OSX 10.9.5

2.4 Ghz Intel Core i7

8GB

Thanks for your time and appreciate your help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 6:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 7:57 AM

I have finally found the solution.

The problem was the cintiq driver that was on the top bar of my screen.

Cause I recall that it is the only upgrade/ installation so far happened to my mac.

I opened up the wacom tablet properties and found 3 cintiq controller icons on the devices row. I deleted all (since i no longer using it) with the "-" button, and voilà! No more unusual fan noise and crazy cpu usage!

strange that how one thing can cause another problem which is unrelated.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2015 7:57 AM in response to CalvinChua

I have finally found the solution.

The problem was the cintiq driver that was on the top bar of my screen.

Cause I recall that it is the only upgrade/ installation so far happened to my mac.

I opened up the wacom tablet properties and found 3 cintiq controller icons on the devices row. I deleted all (since i no longer using it) with the "-" button, and voilà! No more unusual fan noise and crazy cpu usage!

strange that how one thing can cause another problem which is unrelated.

Ext hdd causes UserEventAgent to use 100% CPU, making fan noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.