Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which contacts are backed up

does it back up phone contacts, email contacts or just iCloud email contacts?

iPhone 5

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 9:05 AM

5 replies

Nov 15, 2015 10:34 AM in response to fromsouth

You are overlooking the complete backup to iTunes, which does include those items. The OP didn't define the type of backup and the email addresses and phone numbers not in Contacts on the phone are not synced to anything.

iTunes backups

From your Mac or PC, you can make a backup of your device in iTunes. Syncing your device with your computer isn't the same as making a backup.

An iTunes backup includes nearly all of your device's data and settings. An iTunes backup doesn't include:

• Content from the iTunes and App Stores, or PDFs downloaded directly to iBooks (You can back up this content using Transfer Purchases in iTunes.)
  • Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library
  • Touch ID settings
  • Apple Pay information and settings
  • Activity, Health, and Keychain data (To back up this content, you'll need to use Encrypted Backup in iTunes.)

Choosing an iOS backup method (Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iOS device?)

Nov 25, 2015 3:35 AM in response to modular747

According to Apple, sorry if your opinion differs content that is being synced is not backed up.

For icloud backup it is content being synced with icloud that is not backed up.

For itunes backup according to your own post it is content synced with itunes or stored in icloud.

"Your iOS device backup only includes data and settings stored on your device. It doesn’t include data already stored in iCloud. That includes contacts, calendars, bookmarks, mail messages, notes, shared photo albums, iCloud Photo Library, My Photo Stream, and documents you store in iCloud Drive."

• "Content synced from iTunes, like imported MP3s or CDs, videos, books, and photos
  • Photos already stored in the cloud, like My Photo Stream, and iCloud Photo Library"

Which contacts are backed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.