Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

formatting a 4tb hd in El Capitan

Hi All,

I have a Mac Pro mid 2010 running El Capitan 10.11 with one open hd slot left and It seems I'm running out of room on my other hard drives. I installed a 4tb sshd about two years ago and had to perform some sort of magic trick to access the whole drive. My question is do I still have to do something special to format the drive in El Capitan using just one partition of 4tb?

Thanks

Mike

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 8:39 AM

8 replies

Nov 15, 2015 9:12 AM in response to mikeci

That bug appeared in 10.8.4, and has not yet been fixed.

using a Disk Utility from any older Mac OS X, including the 10.6 DVD (if your Mac can boot from it) or any saved Installer DVD or thumb drive will work.

Another work-around is to move that drive to an external enclosure and Erase it there (provided your enclosure is modern enough to deal with drives over 2.2TB.

Also

For Internal sled mounting:

The screw-depth penetration for 'bottom-mounting screws adjacent to the platters' on some drives over 3TB have been shortened. This may mean that the sled screws bottom out before they fit snugly and begin to compress the washers on the sled. If this is the case, your drive will not sit flat on the sled, and will not mate with the backplane connector without additional adjustment.

OWC also now sells sleds that uses alternate mounting holes in the HD to avoid that problem.

You can shorten those screws, or put a washer under the heads to ensure they can be made snug in the allowed depth. Also, now OWC/Macsales now sells sleds that use the alternate mounting screw locations to avoid this problem. However, these sleds are only for the 2009 and later Pros

Nov 16, 2015 6:51 AM in response to mikeci

One way:

Put the drive into an external enclosure. Connect it to the Mac Pro. Use disk utility to format it as a single partition. Take it out of the external drive, mount it in the sled for the fourth slot, and insert it into the Mac Pro.

if you have Snow Leopard installed:

Boot from Snow Leopard. Format the drive with Disk Utility while it is installed internally.

Does this still work with the SSHD setup mentioned above, though?

Nov 16, 2015 8:12 AM in response to mikeci

No, you should be able to use either of the two EXCEPTION procedures kahjot specified in his post above, specifically:

a) Initialize in an external enclosure with any version of Mac OS X (10.6 or later) -OR-

b) boot up the 10.6 DVD (for the MacPro 2010 this will be the original Gray DVD that shipped in the box) and use the Utilities available there.

formatting a 4tb hd in El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.