Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About 60% of my 500 Gb storage space is being used by "Other" and I want to reduce what "Other" is using.

My Powerbook has about 60% of its 500 Gb storage space being used by "Other". How can I reduce "Other"?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), storage issue

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 1:18 PM

6 replies

Oct 7, 2016 1:35 PM in response to Allan Jones

I see this is a stale thread but I have the same question. I have a late 2011 13" Macbook Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6. with 500 GB storage. Over 300 GB are shown as "other" and I'm close to running out of space. I've searched the web for how to tell if this is an indication of a problem or if I can somehow clear it out, but nothing I find seems directly applicable. I need to find more storage and prefer not to go to external device. So, is this a problem I can fix or do I just need to bite the bullet and get an external drive?

About 60% of my 500 Gb storage space is being used by "Other" and I want to reduce what "Other" is using.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.