Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I migrated to a new Laptop, now FCP Studio 3 won't take my serial - Unknown error 777

Hi,

My 17" laptop screen died and I upgraded to a new Mid 2015 2.5Ghz i7 16gb ram, Retina. OS 10.10.5. I target-disked the 17" and migrated all applications over. Nearly all things work.

I started FCP and it asked me to reinsert my Serial. I did, then it said it was an upgrade so please enter the original. So I did.

It then gave me an error popup saying "UNKNOWN ERROR 777" and asked me to quit.

I removed the Final Cut Pro System ID from ProApps and retried. Same thing happened.

I then reinstalled the 7.0.3 upgrade just to see if it reset the needed parts..same result.

I tried this for soundtrack pro - same; DVD Studio Pro - same.

I'm trying to not have to re-install

...any ideas ???

Shane

new Mid 2015 Retina

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 2:13 PM

6 replies

Jun 26, 2017 1:09 AM in response to Shane Ruggieri1

I am getting this exact same 777 error seemingly out of nowhere on my 2014 MacBook Pro running Yosemite. FCP 7.0.3 used to run just fine on this machine. Deleting the Final Cut Pro Studio System ID file didn't help at all.

So I completely uninstalled all components of Final Cut Studio 3 and am attempting to reinstall from the original install DVD. The problem now is that every time I enter my serial number to begin the installation, I get "Alert. Licensing Error: The license file will not be written to disk because the user does not have enough privileges." I can still allow the install to take place, strangely, after that error, but then FCP will still not launch at all. Even after running the 7.0.3 update.

And I've repaired permissions multiple times (permissions are just fine on this machine...that's not the problem) but I just can't get around this re-install problem.

If anyone has any insight and can please help it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 26, 2017 10:36 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Yes. Also repaired permissions while booted from recovery partition. Also tried installing while logged in as "root." Same issue. Also tried installing while booted up in Safe Mode, which told me I didn't have enough VRAM while doing so to install it so that didn't work either. Next all I can do is try re-installing Yosemite to see if it fixes some unknown permissions issue keeping me from re-installing FCS 3, but nothing else has been a problem on this computer. It's bizarre.

Jun 26, 2017 10:51 PM in response to DigitalDuderino

Reporting back in the event that my experience can help others.

I ended up with two machines exhibiting this exact problem.

Here's how I solved it for each one:

1) For my MacBook Pro I installed a fresh copy of Yosemite 10.10.5 and nothing else onto an external USB 3 drive. Then I booted up from that and was successfully able to install and authorize FCP 7.0.3. THEN I booted from my internal drive and used the migration assistant to pull in Apps (except FCP was the only app pulled in since nothing else different was installed) onto my internal drive and bam, FCP worked again after requesting my code upon launching.

2) For my Mac Pro the above method would, for some reason, not work at all. Even after pulling FCP 7 in from the external drive using migration assistant I still got the 777 error code trying to launch and authorize it. What did fix it was booting from the recovery partition and simply reinstalling Yosemite. All my user and other data and apps remained intact, but after that FCP launched and allowed me to authorize it without any error. So I guess there really was something corrupt going on somewhere even if everything else on both machines behaved totally fine.

All good with FCP 7 on my two macs running Yosemite now!

Nov 15, 2015 3:28 PM in response to Shane Ruggieri1

Apple Pro Apps have a reputation for problems when being migrated. I myself have never had a problem but best practice is to do a clean install of Pro Apps on the new computer, and there have been lots of anecdotal reports of problems when the apps are migrated.

Use FCS Remover from Digital Rebellion (free) to remove all traces of your bad install on your new computer:

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/fcsremover/

And then do an install from your install disks. You don't need to install the previous version, only the upgrade - since you have the serial number for the original version you are upgrading from.

MtD

Nov 15, 2015 3:31 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Meg the Dog,

Well, thank you and bummer.... I was hoping not to have to re-install due to many factors, excruciating install time and figuring out how to share my dvd from my main system to this DVD-less laptop. BUT, i've just gotten back 58GB after deleting Studio 3 so maybe i'll take this as a sign to just install FCP and Soundtrack Pro to save the space all the dead weight was occupying.

Thanks!!

Shane

I migrated to a new Laptop, now FCP Studio 3 won't take my serial - Unknown error 777

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.