Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad Pro constantly locking up on sleep

I bought a new iPad Pro on 12/11/2015.

As soon as it was setup it kept locking up (hard reset required) every time it went to sleep/lock.

I wont bore you with the problems I had with the Apple stores refusing to hold one for me to replace, but I took it into the Genius Bar where they did a DFU to fully reset the firmware.

After I took it home and re-built it "as new" rather than from backup, knowing the latter can cause issues.

Not fixed.

After going to three stores I found one with a spare there were prepared to give me (Sydney CBD store)*

Took it home - seemed ok at first but the exact same error occurred rendering the iPad useless.

Basically it's fine when you use it, but as soon as you walk away and leave it and it goes to sleep. It has a complete crash/failure.

To be clear - this is not an in app failure. In fact it works great when being used. It's when it times out on the home screen when it goes to sleep and all apps are closed.

My friend does not have this issue on his - yet.

But i've had it across two sources from different stores and setup/built differently.

While the Pro is new there are a few mixed comments about this on the web, some speak of IOS9 causing this across a number of platforms, others about the Pro itself.

HELP!!!!!! Not good Apple

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 2:51 PM

5 replies

Nov 16, 2015 10:35 AM in response to Chumblybum

I have the exact same problem, but started with a clean install. I have not tried returning it yet. I am hoping that this is a SW bug that Apple will fix soon. If indeed this is a hardware failure, I assume Apple will replace it within the warranty period. Good luck for a solution for you.

Using this reply to document my issue for further poof if needed.

Atlanta,Ga

James

Nov 16, 2015 12:52 PM in response to jamesfrombuford

Thanks James, i'm keen on any feedback on this one,

I've also re-installed and it's even got worse, sometimes locking during system functions (e.g. on settings pages). It's unuseable.

I just know every time I pick it up I need to reset it.

What's also weird is that Applecare cannot tell me why my care plan has not automatically transferred to my new replaced Pro - they kept asking me if I had activated it yet (which I had). That to me speaks of something funny going on.

I also keep being asked for my Apple ID password, possibly unrelated. But sometimes it wont allow me to type it in or will but then wont accept it (the request box just sits there doing nothing). I need to exit and come back a few times or whatever, then finally it works. But asks again later.

Not sure if I should replace it once more, wait longer (which is not fair on me), or just give up on Apple and return the whole thing.

New iPad Pro constantly locking up on sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.