Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screen shot not working

I have a MBP (late 2008) with OS X 10.9.5, and about a month ago the ability to take a screen shot stopped working. (Yes, Grab still works, but i wish I still hadthe convenience of using the screen shot keyboard shortcuts. )

Using cmd+shift+3, doesn't do anything (no sound, no new file to desktop [i've even searched the computer for a new file with "Screen Shot" as the name, and there is none]), nor does cmd shift 4, cmd ctrl **** 3, cmd ctrl **** 4, do anything.

I have checked the system preferences for the keyboard shortcuts, and all are selected for screen shots.

I have dropbox, but have unchecked the screenshot sharing option, and I am currently not running dropbox.

I have tried the terminal prompt suggestions in other threads (eg: "defaults write com.apple.screencapture location ~/Desktop", "killall SystemUIServer")

I have attempted restarting the computer.

I have ensured that the software is up to date.

Any help or suggestions to help restore the ability to take screenshots would be appreciated.

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2017 1:05 AM

I've had this problem on and off for about a year and none of the solutions recommended in the forum worked for me. Then I discovered this solution and problem solved!

System preferences > keyboard > shortcuts > screenshots

Then, make sure the box for 'save picture of screen as a file' is ticked.

13 replies

Nov 15, 2015 4:13 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Correct, none of those screenshot options work anymore.

As stated, I searched my computer to see if they were saved elsewhere. I used spotlight to do that, as well as a search for all files modified and created by date.

Which system preference plist should be deleted, the screencapture, or some other? I'm unsure which would be associated with the screen shot shortcuts.

Thanks for the info.

Dec 9, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Duane

Hello,

I have the same problem, as well. No screenshots, no clicking, no file. Nothing!

When I go to ~/Library/Preferences, I do not have a pref file named 'com.apple.ImageCaptureApp.plist' in there. Or, anywhere else. Nothing close. If I open the Image Capture app, change a few settings, I can produce a file named 'com.apple.Image_Capture.plist' but not with App in it.

Also, if I launch the Grab utility (from Core Services), any action I take results in the app crashing with kernel panics and alerts about alerting Apple. My user is updating with 10.11.2 tonight, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

I believe this is where my issue lies, in the Grab app; any further tips would be oh, so, appreciated!!

Dec 9, 2015 3:40 PM in response to Duane

Yes, I'm running El Capitan (currently 10.11.1); this weeks update to 10.11.2 is pending to run overnight tonight.

I was going on what you noted above (marked Solved) on moving com.apple.ImageCaptureApp.plist to the Desktop, restart, and test. I could not find such a file in the location you mention (not with 'App' in the name). All checkboxes under Keyboard Shortcuts / Screen Shots are checked.

I do have a com.apple.Image_Capture.plist file (from opening Image Capture) however, moving that to the Desktop and restarting did not fix my problem.

Feb 9, 2016 11:52 AM in response to ab_m

ab_m wrote:

Hi

I have the same problem expressed by pantherkent. I am using MBP 13 inch, late2011 model, and Mac OSX 10.11.3. OS.

Will appreciate any assistance pls.😕

Have you tried everything in this thread?

If you have tried all of these suggestions and still have a problem, I would recommend that you start a new thread and explain in detail what happens when you try to get a screenshot. Posting to a thread marked as "solved" is not the best way to get help.

Oct 25, 2016 4:40 PM in response to Duane

Hi, I had the same problem, with el Capitan 10.11.6. I, too had a preference called com.apple.Image_Capture.plist, without the 'App' after 'Capture'. So I just moved the one I had to the desktop, restarted, and now it works fine again. THANKS! But I had not deleted the file yet - it is on the desktop. I thought it would be created again in the 'Preferences' folder, but it hasn't. There IS an identically-named file with 'lock file' at the end, which is not the one I moved (nor would I). Is it really ok to delete the file I moved to the desktop? Why wasn't it recreated? I thought preferences recreate when you use the app again? And thanks again for the original solution!

Dec 9, 2016 6:53 PM in response to remicks2

I've been trying to fix this problem for months and months.

I finally figured it out.

My left command key works on copy/paste and stuff like that, but not screen capture! So, if I use the right cmd-shift-4, I can do my screen captures again. I did also move my Image_Capture file to the desktop like the other posts, and restart, but that did nothing for me. Something is wrong with my left cmd key or the screen capture key bind...

screen shot not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.