Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad will not SYNC and will not BACKUP

iPad will not SYNC and will not BACKUP.

iTunes 12.3.1

OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite on MacBook Pro.

iOS 9.1 on iPad Air 128GB.

Try to BACKUP the iPad. No joy. Backup runs for 5 or 10 minutes then stops. No error. No completion message. NOTHING. Backup not completed.

Try to SYNC. Nothing happens. Sync runs but does not sync anything. (Tried both via USB and via Wi-Fi)

Sometimes it runs for 2 or 3 minutes but nothing syncs.

See screenshots below.

OCCASIONALLY there is an error message:

1. The iPad “iPad Air” could not be synced because this computer is no longer authorized for purchased items that are on this iPad. To authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes store, choose Store ... authorize this computer.
  2. In iTunes, go to Store... Authorize...
  3. Enter Apple ID and Password.
  4. RESULT:
  5. This computer is already authorized.

Reboot everything, try again, same results. Try USB. Try Wi-Fi. Same results.

Catch 22? Tried to DE-authorize, and then AUTHORIZE... Still the same results.

Screen-shots:

User uploaded file

HELP?

iPad Air, iOS 9.1, My 3rd iPad. 1st, 3rd, and 5th Gen.

Posted on Nov 15, 2015 4:57 PM

10 replies

Nov 18, 2015 11:37 AM in response to GeoFan49

One more thing...

This iPad Air was previously used with iOS 8 and this same MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I would do a weekly update in iTunes on the Mac for all apps — and then sync with the iPad to put all the updated apps on the iPad. I prefer to keep this practice, update Mac and then sync with the iPad.

Snow Leopard does NOT support iOS 9, so when I updated the iPad Air to iOS 9, I also had to update the MacBook Pro to OS X 10.10 Yosemite (several months ago) and the new version of iTunes on the Mac ... I am keeping the old (Snow Leopard) hard drive as an external USB drive, with a new internal hard drive on the MacBook Pro in order to boot Yosemite.

This SYNC problem began at that time, since the Yosemite upgrade with the new internal boot drive. Same MAC, new hard drive... There must be a clue here...

The iTunes Store says this MacBook Pro booted with Yosemite (and the new internal hard drive) has been authorized with this iPad Air.

The iTunes store seems to have trouble ever since the Yosemite + iOS9 update. I have tried to de-Authorize and then re-Authorize this Mac running Yosemite, but that does not seem to help. With the iPad running iOS 9, it is impossible to go back to Snow Leopard. SO... another Catch-22? It is all the same Apple-ID but a new hard drive and new OS and a new version of iTunes... Those are the only things that have changed. That is when the SYNC stopped working.

SO... now the iPad will no longer BACKUP and will not SYNC with the Mac. How to make this work?

Nov 18, 2015 3:22 PM in response to GeoFan49

The reason why I want to BACKUP and SYNC with this Mac?

I do NOT want to backup to iCloud.

So, I want to update all iOS apps on the MAC and then SYNC weekly between the iPad and the Mac, and do a FULL ENCRYPTED BACKUP from the iPad to the Mac with each major update of iOS, or every few months. I should always be ready to do a RESTORE if needed, without losing more than a week of changes on the iPad.

Nov 25, 2015 12:36 PM in response to GeoFan49

Backing up now: 2015-11-25 11:10

... 2015-11-25 11:20 ... 2015-11-25 11:25

Backup failed:

iTunes could not back up the iPad "Geo iPad Air"

because the iPad disconnected.

. . . via Wi-Fi ... same router... about 2 feet between Mac and iPad, and about 10 feet to Wi-Fi router.

Try again... 2015-11-25 11:27 ... 2015-11-25 11:37

SAME result. (Backup failed...)

≡≡≡

Reboot Mac and iPad.

Put iPad into AIRPORT mode, no Wi-Fi no Bluetooth.

Try USB. Charging indicator A-Okay! Connected via USB.

Try BACKUP now. 2015-11-25 11:52

BACKUP has completed A-Okay!

. . . as of 2015-11-25 12:01

Try to SYNC now....

Try to remove one app... OneNote ... APPLY.

Sync ran 3 or 4 minutes, then failed... ERROR MESSAGE:

The iPad could not be synced because this computer is no longer authorized...

Try

Store... Authorize this computer...

This computer is already authorized...

CATCH 22...

Check

/var/db/lockdown

has two files.

Deleted.

Reboot Mac, try again?

iTunes 12.3.1 is current version.

Authorize? Already authorized.

REMOVE one app...

Try SYNC.

. . . could not be synced because this computer is no longer authorized...

FAIL again. Same pattern.

2015-11-25 12:26

iPad will not SYNC and will not BACKUP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.